Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS USB Inteli Mouse Problems

Hi,

Installed Windows XP a few months ago. Everything has been working hunky dory until a couple days ago. My USB mouse just gets turned off for no reason, does a little noise on the computer and then after a random period of time it will come back on again. (Usuall 5+ seconds) I have spent since 9am this morning trying to find a fix. Checked all websites I could find, d/l SP1, truned off the power off options in Device Manager for USB ports and yet still it keeps turning off randomly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated whilst I continue to pull my hair out looking for some kind of fix

p.s. most fixes refer me to Microsofts Knowledge base, going on about system hangs when shutting down. I don't have this problem (touch wood it wont start that problem either)

have you turned on 'usb legacy devices' or 'usb keyboard/mouse' (lots of names for this) in the bios? ..but I doubt that will fix your problem. What mobo are you using?

Comment

Checked Bios, only most USB options were already enabled, only one that wasnt was USB keyboard (and im using a PS2 one anyway)

Mobo im not too sure about, made the mistake of getting a package deal (chip, mobo and DDR RAM.) And the accompanying manual wasn't too helpful, like no information on a manufacturer anywhere in it.

Other than that it has USB 2.0 support .. erm any other info that might help narrow it down?

Comment

This looks rather intense;
        http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;321122

hopefully that will do you some good:?:

And of course, I'll throw in the obligatory "make sure you got the latest drivers" spiel
        http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouse/download.asp
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Thank you for suggestions thus far.

Done all that to no avail.

I have narrowed the problem down though, its something to do with the USB. It plays a device disconected sound when it turns off, then when it comes back on it has a device reconected sound.

Im still lost and trawling the web :)

I have read other pages (random ones found by google) where people have had the same problem but there was no remedy listed on them.

Comment

Problem: anyone else out there using xp pro getting the problem where there is a device constantly disconnecting and reconnecting? basically what happens is everything freezes for about a second and then you hear the device disconnect sound, followed by the device reconnect sound......using a microsoft optical USB mouse which i thought was the problem, tried switching USB ports but still getting the same problem...it happens constantly too...at least 4 times a minute, very frustrating....any ideas?

Possible Solution: From Mike Ketchen – Microsoft MVP: If it's a USB device, go to the Start Menu and right-click on My Computer. Click on the Hardware tab, then click on Device Manager. At the end of the tree should be "Universal Serial Bus controllers."
            Expand that node (click on the little plus sign), right-click on "USB Root Hub," and select Properties. Click on the Power Management tab, uncheck the box labeled "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power," and click OK.

That will keep Windows XP from turning off your USB devices when it sees no activity (very annoying if you have a USB mouse).
            found this on one of the sites .. this is the same problem I am having (same mouse in fact) but the fix didnt work (I already turned these options off earlier today) .. is there anywhere else that overrides the powersave functions here?

EDIT ** One of these last times it dropped it came up with a USB Device not Recognised .. im looking into this further see if i can find anything on that

Comment

do you have a different USB mouse that you can try? There might be something physically wrong with the mouse

Comment

nope, no spare usb mouse, but i have just plugged in an old ps2 one till I can get a new one .. then ill find out if its the old usb mouse or not :)

thank you both for the time and effort you took to try help me.

Comment

what about a BIOS update for your mobo? I had some problems with a USB keyboard when I first got this rig and a later BIOS update fixed it

..but if that was the case, you probably would have been haveing trouble all along

it's no trouble trying to help you, that's why I keep coming back here day after day...some of us enjoy this kind of thing
                  :cheers:

Comment

try what un0riginal said first, but i'm also thinking that it could be the cable on the mouse - since I had a friend who's old MS explorer turned off every now and again (on USB, this would trigger windows seing a disconnection, then a reconnection) - try wiggling the cable, or try the mouse in another computer.

also try other USB ports if you haven't already.
                    SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
                    Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

Well I use MS Intellimices with an usb connection. i think it's one of the best mices ever produced. However the cable on those babys can be a bit sensetive as I have had one go bad on me + that I heard of others to. This can cause all kinds of odd behaviour, in my case the pointer started flicker like crazy and wonuldn't let me copy/paste properly nomore.. :shrug:

So as mentioned above try it on another computer to see if it's that cable that's causing ya headache.. :)

:cheers:

Comment

Working...
                      X