PDA

View Full Version : TT UD Team

Wiggo
07-29-2003, 08:02 PM
Well no one has been keepin' us up to date with this team (http://www.grid.org/services/teams/team.htm?id=B46A53D8-49C8-479A-B4F5-8261D58B522B) (shame on ya Kheldar) but it's still doin' well and Kheldar (http://www.grid.org/stats/members/compare.htm?un2=kheldarOz) has know amounted over 46 years of work (thanks to a certain hospital network). :D

DigitalDD
07-30-2003, 08:43 PM
i guess I'm #2 on the TT UD team then.

http://www.grid.org/stats/members/compare.htm?un2=digitaldd

not too shabby. :clap:

minibubba
07-30-2003, 09:14 PM
:eek: I thought the UD team had died off...

apparently I was sorely mistaken:
http://www.grid.org/services/teams/team_members.htm?id=B46A53D8-49C8-479A-B4F5-8261D58B522B

VinnieVen
08-05-2003, 11:10 AM
I'm thinking of starting up with UD, they do reseach for diabetes which is something that interests me.

Anyone have any tips to make UD work as fast as possible?

Mr. C
08-05-2003, 11:34 AM
Use the computer for nothing else.

UD has a nice forum with lots of info.

That is truly pathetic LOL
I haven't run UD in over a year and a 1/2 and still 14th:wow:

Beefy
08-05-2003, 12:02 PM
Is this the one that you had a disagreement with, Mr C? :?:

minibubba
08-05-2003, 12:04 PM
I'm thinking of starting up with UD, they do reseach for diabetes which is something that interests me.

Anyone have any tips to make UD work as fast as possible? I thought UD only did Cancer?

Folding also does research for Type 2 Diabetes, if that is what you're after.

As far as I know, there aren't any DC programs that do Type 1 Diabetes research (which is what I'm really after). If there was, I'd switch in a heartbeat. I like crunching Folding, but it's not going to cure me.

VinnieVen
08-05-2003, 12:06 PM
I thought UD only did Cancer?

Folding also does research for Type 2 Diabetes, if that is what you're after.

As far as I know, there aren't any DC programs that do Type 1 Diabetes research. If there was, I'd switch in a heartbeat. I like crunching Folding, but it's not going to cure me.

U Have type 1? I was diagnosed with it a month ago.

I did a google and there was an article that came up from june of last year that said the ADA was going to use UD for some research.

minibubba
08-05-2003, 12:14 PM
I've had it for over 11 years so far (since I was 10). I'm sorry to hear that you had to join the club. My first few months were hell, but it does get better and you do get used to it. It becomes part of your everyday life and it is just something you deal with. It all becomes second nature after a while.

Feel free to contact me if you want, all my info is in my profile.

I didn't know the ADA was interested in DC programs, I'll have to look into it. I did a lot of searching on the subject a few months ago and didn't find much. Most of the info I found was about Type 2.

VinnieVen
08-05-2003, 12:21 PM
http://www.ud.com/company/news/press/06032002.htm

I don't think that they use the distributed system, but just pay UD for some crunching time. Nonethelesss, it would seem that supporting this company is more beneficial than a few of the other DC programs.

I'm 23, so not that much older than u at the moment though this is all quite new to me.

Mr. C
08-05-2003, 12:22 PM
Is this the one that you had a disagreement with, Mr C? :?:

Yes, I'm afraid so :(

minibubba
08-05-2003, 12:35 PM
right, i think I did read that. But that is a private grid AFAIK. If I'm going to switch DC clients, I'd prefer it to be to one that will have a more direct impact on type 1 Diabetes research. I support the ADA now, so I don't think there is much of a need to support UD's DC when it's going to something completely different.

Being diagnosed with any chronic, life changing disease can traumatic, and I know all to well what you are probably going though. But do yourself a favor and keep it in check, you'll thank yourself later. Trust me on this. :)

Mr C. what was it you didn't like about UD? I vaguely remember a thread about your dislike for something concerning UD, but I don't remember much.

Mr. C
08-05-2003, 12:58 PM
It all began on this page of the thread;
http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95&perpage=20&pagenumber=14

And ended here;
http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=717

minibubba
08-05-2003, 01:19 PM
Thanks Mr. C, after looking over that I am content to stay with [email protected] for some time to come. There is plenty of room on our Folding team if you care to join us ;)

DigitalDD
08-05-2003, 10:09 PM
for Minibubba and VinnieVen: I'm also a type 1 diabetic . I was diagnosed over 16 years ago. things have come a long way since i was diagnosed Back then your typical glucometer weighed about 1.5 lbs and was about the size of a small thick notepad [one with at least 250 pages of paper in it]. Now they're the size of a beeper [and a small beeper at that.].

For those who have good medical plans you can get an insulin pump instead of having to give yourself shots. things have come a long way indeed.:)

minibubba
08-05-2003, 10:29 PM
I remember my first glucose meter...a OneTouch II ...about the size of at least 2 PDAs (including the case the damn thing was in), it took a large drop of blood and 45 sec to get a reading. Now I'm using the Onetouch Ultra...smaller than my last pager, only 15 sec and very little blood.

I had an insulin pump a few years ago, but me and it didn't get along very well so I'm back on shots (about 6 a day). Might just be me, but I really prefer the shots to the pump. Pumps have to go a long way before I ever think about going back. I'm still carrying too many scars from the last one...

I figured I was the only Type 1 in these forums, interesting to see how wrong I was.

:cheers:

VinnieVen
08-05-2003, 10:54 PM
I'm on 5 shots a day at the moment, and my glucose is all over the place, its damn annoying. I keep bottoming out on amounts that would barely touch me before. Just gotta keep fidling until i get what is right. I have the one touch ultra which isnt too bad. Fingers are starting to get a bit sore with little red dots all over the tips.

Of all the problems to get, at least diabetes is manageable. Just keep up with the shots and you're good to go. Thankfully I have a health plan at work so I don't have to worry about all the payments.

DigitalDD and minibubba, any history of type 1 in your families?

minibubba
08-05-2003, 11:20 PM
nope, I'm the only one. I've got a great-grandfather that had type 2, but that was is as close as it gets. From what I understand, it's only type 2 that is considered to be herditary these days.

Don't worry about your fingers, you'll get quite used to it in a hurry. You can also get lancet pens with a variable depth so it doesn't hurt so much all the time.

VinnieVen
08-05-2003, 11:36 PM
The variable depth is the one I have.

i've been looking for some software to put on my PDA, either of you know any software for tracking that is useful for palm os?

minibubba
08-05-2003, 11:46 PM
no I don't, sorry. I've got an old Palm IIIx and there isn't much available for it any more. I just keep notes in the notepad and put it all into an spreadsheet when I get home. But there is software you can get for your meter so you can upload whatever is in memory to your comp...but I really don't know of anything for a PDA :shrug:

VinnieVen
08-06-2003, 12:25 AM
ok, thanks. I've found a couple for my palm IIIxe, just wasnt sure if u had anything I don't.

minibubba
08-06-2003, 01:22 AM
what did you find for the plam IIIxe?

more than likely it would work on my IIIx as well

VinnieVen
08-06-2003, 11:40 AM
I'm not saure what the name of the program is that I've found. It's only a 15 day trial on it though. It has glucose, meal, insulin inputs as well as a database for different types of food. I'm sure by now u don't need the database, but for me it is good to use as most stuff I am uncertain about the amount of glucose they contain.

I'm gonna see how I like this one and If it dosent work then I will find a different one that suits my tastes.

a few links for u (http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_technology/software.php)

minibubba
08-06-2003, 11:58 AM
thanks ...it looks like my spreedsheet does just as much as their software, so I think I'll stick with it :)

VinnieVen
08-06-2003, 11:59 AM
Quite right, I'm thinking this is gonna be more hastle then it's worth, but i'll see what happens.

minibubba
08-06-2003, 12:10 PM
I've found that the best thing for me is to take simple notes during the day (PDA or paper makes little difference) and just put the data into a customized spreadsheet (openoffice.org has a good one ;) ). I never really got the hang of those little paper log books, I always thought they were a pain to use right (not to mention you have to right really damn small if you need to make any notes). I occationally look for some good software, but I have yet to find anything that is better than what I'm doing now. But what ever you chose, stick with keeping records. Being able to see trends and patterns in your blood glucose is important.

DigitalDD
08-06-2003, 10:16 PM
wow Minibubba & VinnieVen 5 and 6 shots is a lot. makes my 2-3 shots seem a lot more tolerable. My doctor says I'm under pretty good control I average in the 120-140mg/dl range as a result he won't approve me for an insulin pump. No matter I doubt I could deal with an insulin pump with all the running around I do. its bad enough i have to carry around my medisense precision Xtra glucose monitor which is a nice manageable size [the whole case is smaller than a Palm III series in a case]. Only thing the Precison monitor lacks that my old one touch had was a PC uplink connector (looks like a headphone jack belive it or not) to send your glucose listing via serial port to you PC. [you could directly ldump it to a file change the extension of the file to CSV then copy paste into any fancy spreadsheet you put together to keep track of things.]

But it really is nice to know there are others out there in the same condition as myself.

VinnieVen
08-06-2003, 10:22 PM
wow Minibubba & VinnieVen 5 and 6 shots is a lot. makes my 2-3 shots seem a lot more tolerable. My doctor says I'm under pretty good control I average in the 120-140mg/dl range as a result he won't approve me for an insulin pump. No matter I doubt I could deal with an insulin pump with all the running around I do. its bad enough i have to carry around my medisense precision Xtra glucose monitor which is a nice manageable size [the whole case is smaller than a Palm III series in a case]. Only thing the Precison monitor lacks that my old one touch had was a PC uplink connector (looks like a headphone jack belive it or not) to send your glucose listing via serial port to you PC. [you could directly ldump it to a file change the extension of the file to CSV then copy paste into any fancy spreadsheet you put together to keep track of things.]

But it really is nice to know there are others out there in the same condition as myself.

I found a link last night with a wiring diagram on how to make those serial adapters, and am thinking I might give it a shot.

I'm not sure if I like the idea of the pump, having a needle in my side all the time is kind of sketchy, but I'm a ways off that right now.

I find myself needing to carry a backpack with all my stuff in it, extra pen tips, insulin, glucose meter, and some extra food. It's kind of a pain but I'm getting used to it.

minibubba
08-06-2003, 11:53 PM
*shivers at the thouight of having another pump...

That's something I don't ever plan to do again, but it does work really well for a lot of people. I don't really carry that much around with me unless I'm planning on being gone for a full day or more. Usually just an Insulin Pen, my meter in it's case with a few extra pen needles inside, and a small tube of glucose tabs. All of it fits easily into my pockets except for my meter/case. I always find it interesting how other diabetics handle it. :)

VinnieVen
08-07-2003, 12:01 AM
I don't expect that I will have to carry this much around with me forever but at the moment my levels are so strange that I can bottom out an hour after eating so I like to be prepared for everything. It's also a pain because I am eating 5 meals a day and am rarely athome so I need to bring everything with me for the road.

DigitalDD
08-07-2003, 10:59 PM
I don't expect that I will have to carry this much around with me forever but at the moment my levels are so strange that I can bottom out an hour after eating so I like to be prepared for everything. It's also a pain because I am eating 5 meals a day and am rarely athome so I need to bring everything with me for the road.

If you bottom out only a short time after eating you are definately giving yourself to much fast acting insulin [Regular isulin or the new Log type insulins] when you have high blood sugar readings. I was doing that for awhile when I was first diagnosed and as a result I gained a lot of weight because I was always eating.

*shivers at the thouight of having another pump...

That's something I don't ever plan to do again, but it does work really well for a lot of people. I don't really carry that much around with me unless I'm planning on being gone for a full day or more. Usually just an Insulin Pen, my meter in it's case with a few extra pen needles inside, and a small tube of glucose tabs. All of it fits easily into my pockets except for my meter/case. I always find it interesting how other diabetics handle it. :)

My glucometer has a case with a belt clip sometimes I wear it and just clip my phone to it. I only tend to carry a backpack on longer trips such as cummuting to work.. I guess I'm under pretty good control as I rarely have to carry isulin with me But I do keep it at home/work and @ my GFs place..;)

minibubba
08-07-2003, 11:17 PM
I'm using Humalog and since it works soo fast I have to take it before I eat anything ...so if I dont take my Pen with me I'll either get really hungry or my BG will go though the roof (and no one can stand to be around me when that happens :steam: )

VinnieVen
08-07-2003, 11:36 PM
I have the humalog and humulin N. The humulin is supposed to mimic the basil drip. I take that twice a day and take my humulog 3 times around large meals. My blood sugar is still pretty high averaging 9.0 for the last 7 days. I'm trying to put forth more of an effort to sty around the guidelines of my meal plan. I have been told to gain weight also, so I am eating 4000 calories a day and 500g's of carbs which is more than most people would want i believe.

I'm slowly developing stashes of stuff at work and the gf's house, though I still like to have my backpack with me. I'm slowly bringing less food with me wherever I go.

How long did it take u 2 to get your sugar levels down to normal?

I also used the Mix25 for 11 days before they changed me as it wasnt working out well at all.

minibubba
08-07-2003, 11:50 PM
you might want to ask about using Lantus instead of N ...it's been a while since I've heard of anyone using that. Lantus is still fairly new and it lasts 24 hrs so that's one less shot. And what's this about needing to gain weight? That's a first for me... When I was first diagnosed I was terrably thin, but it didn't last long. You should get back to a normal weight soon enough without eating all that extra food. But I'm not your doctor, so take it up with them.

It took a month or two before I started to see my BG level out. But in my experience, it never stays that way. It's a lot of work to keep it all under control. And it's way too easy to let things slip and to let things get carried away. I've been down that road, and it aint pretty.

VinnieVen
08-07-2003, 11:58 PM
When diagnosed, were u in ketoacidosis?

I luckily wasnt. My normal weight is 170ish, but they want me up to 190. When I was diagnosed, i was down to 145 which was sketchy. I'm up to 175 now after 5 weeks of eating.

I don't think they intend to keep me on this routine for long. Once my weight is where it should be i should see a change in insulins. There was mention of ultralente or possibly the pump, but hte pump dosent seem like a good idea to me.

minibubba
08-08-2003, 12:39 AM
When diagnosed, were u in ketoacidosis? ya, if I had gone a few more days before going to the hospital I would have been in a comma.

The pump isn't for everyone, but it can be a benefit to a lot of people. It just depends on what your life style and needs are. Then again, some people just don't seem to be very compatible with a pump... like myself. I really wanted a pump at first, and I used it for about 2 years before I finally got rid of it (about 1.5 years too long). But I also know people who have been using a pump for 5 years or more and love it. If you can get over the idea of having a needle in your side 24/7 it may be for you.

DigitalDD
08-08-2003, 08:20 PM
I have the humalog and humulin N. The humulin is supposed to mimic the basil drip. I take that twice a day and take my humulog 3 times around large meals. My blood sugar is still pretty high averaging 9.0 for the last 7 days. I'm trying to put forth more of an effort to sty around the guidelines of my meal plan. I have been told to gain weight also, so I am eating 4000 calories a day and 500g's of carbs which is more than most people would want i believe.

I'm slowly developing stashes of stuff at work and the gf's house, though I still like to have my backpack with me. I'm slowly bringing less food with me wherever I go.

How long did it take u 2 to get your sugar levels down to normal?

I also used the Mix25 for 11 days before they changed me as it wasnt working out well at all.

4000 calories is a lot no matter how you slice it eating that much is bound to keep your blood sugar pretty high. think about it 4000 calories means 3 large meals + 2-3 snacks in between meals there's very little time for your BG to go down during the day.

To be honest it took me something like 3 years to be considered under control but I've had a few lapses here and there, most of which were attributed to me going through stretches where I wasn't eating properly. Now I have a routine and I stick strictly to it. if my hours at work change I experiment until I get a new routine that works.

The mix stuff didn't work for me either when they had me on it. i think they gave me Novalin 70/30 back then .

I'm using Humalog and since it works soo fast I have to take it before I eat [i]anything ...so if I dont take my Pen with me I'll either get really hungry or my BG will go though the roof (and no one can stand to be around me when that happens :steam: )

Amzing coincidence all 3 of us take Humalog. I combine mine with humalin U twice a day. vinnieVen: when you get a little more under control they'll probably move you to humalin U or Lantus. they usually won't move you to a longer acting insulin until you are a little more under control because people who take long acting insulin tend to not test their blood sugar as often as since you were recently diagnosed they want you testing often. At least thats how my doctor explained it to me when i was first diagnosed.

minibubba
08-08-2003, 11:45 PM
I wouldn't say that. I check my BG more now than I ever before. Anywhere from 8-10 (and more when I'm having a bad day) times/day. Back in the day it was almost consistently 4x daily. I find the more often I check it the more steady my BG stays.