ddr sdram question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ddr sdram question

in theory ( or in my theory anyway) 2 x 128 ddr sdram in dual channel made would be as good as 1 x 512 sdram........right or wrong and why? :group:

Well no. 512mb of ram is better than 256mb. If you were to compare 1x512 to 2x256 in dual channel. Then the 2x256 would be about 5-10% better. That's about all the increase that benchmarks show. Or if you are talking about the 512mb not being DDR:confused: then yes. That also can depend on board and cpu. Some Intel boards with pc133 bench better than some DDR systems.

Comment

Comment

hhhhmmmmmmm.......
        i guess thats why i said 1 x 512 sdram
        and 2 x 128 ddr sdram

but i'll take the blame for not saying pc 133 sdram-----cas 2-----non ecc------unbuffered.

jeez can't anyone read .

oh well finished venting now, nothin' personal.

Comment

Sorry about that. Started to respond then realized I might be readin it wrong. : omg: It can still depend on the quality of the ram but IMO yes it would be better. Mainly due to the speed.

edit:pc133

Comment

PC2100 (133MHz or 266DDR) has twice the usable bandwidth of PC133 (133MHz).

Comment

Bringing this back up cuz I have a question and didnt want to start another thread

was over on newegg site looking at this

now please explain to me what the difference is from that and this cuz I'm baffled I see one is platinum and one is not

Comment

the 'platinum' memory is DDR3200 (400mhz) which is faster than the non platinum memory which is DDR2700 (333mhz) the platinum also has heatspreaders attached to it

Comment

my bad I gave wrong link oopsies ;)

now whats the difference with this heat spreader is that a good thing?

blast its still the same link? freaky cuz i'm copying it as I"m looking at it I dunno its a 3200 as well but its not platinum...

Comment

the heat spreader is meant to spread the heat from the memory chips over a larger area so more heat will be transferred to the air this link should give you any information you want about them
                    as for the platinum memory i think it is higher quality but im not sure

Comment

tks that helped....

Comment

Actually Corsair sells all of its XMS modules with either a black or platinum heatspreader, the memory modules are identical, only the color of the heatspreader differs, assuming you buy modules that are rated the same :cheers:

Comment

Ah the HeatSpreader myth, They arent really needed at all, I had PC3200 OC'ed to a 220FSB @ 2.9V running extreme timings, and they never even got hot without HeatSpreaders

Comment

Working...
                          X