Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, I Have My First Problem, Omg?!!?

INTRO:
    okay people, i usually stick to helping out round here, but i have hit a recent trouble that has prompted me to drag my arse here for help.

SYSTEM SPECS:
    Duron 600 @ 933 (7x133)
    Epox 8kta3+pro (onboard HPT370a-disabled)
    512Mb SDRAM
    20Gb IBM ATA66 7.2k
    80Gb Maxtor 7.2k
    Ricoh 32x8x4 CDRW
    3D Power Geforce 2MX 32Mb
    Hercules Game Theatre XP
    Intel Pro 100+ NIC
    250W DTK PSU Main
    235W generic PSU Auxilliary
    Cooled with a Mini Copper Orb (31 idle, 38 Full load max'd)
    also:
    HDs cooled with 2x80mm
    1 front intake 80mm (as well as hd fans) and 1x60mm Exhaust fan
    all fans are on the Aux. PSU and everything else on the main one.

Problem:
    It is possibly a sign of a Dying 20Gb'er
    My system, has infrequent "lock-ups" where i can very rarely reproduce - hence they are not regular or due to anything software. main things i get are noticeable when playing music and not at computer, will completely lock up for anywhere from 20secs, up to 5-7 minutes, happens whilst idling at desktop, playing music, middle of a game, wherever.

its important to note that previously the computer would completely lockup altogether before my 45Gb died, although it was not the system drive, i had assumed this was the problem. whilst awaiting a replacement, it continued to happen, so i tried removing and swapping ram throughout my system, given that i have 2x128 and 1x256. no combinations resolved the issue, as its intermittent, you could imagine this is difficult to determine quickly.

now i have replaced my 45Gb with a new 80Gb in my system - as per specs, and still nothings changed, I am left wondering if its the system drive - the 20Gb - dying...

i have formatted and installed afresh and nothings different, i will be trying out a fresh install on a spare 40Gb i have atm, to eliminate the 20Gb as a possibility and will post back after trying that for a week or so...

however i was wondering what suggestions people had other than that which i have tried? coz its really ****ting me, and the people who are listening to the music at the time that it locks up...
    :very angr :very angr :?: :confused: :?: :very angr :very angr

Ok hows the power from your main PSU goin' 1st? :?:

Comment

i've had similar problems, either the drive is dying, or the PSu isn't supplying enough power to drive everything (which may cause the drive or drives to die anyway)

when it dies, send in your story, i could use the content ;)

Comment

I had the exact same problem when I used to play Diablo 2 a heap. I would play for ages, then it would just stop.. I'd hit escape, nothing would happen. Then anywhere between 30 - 180 seconds later it'd start again, go to the menu and stop again... I thought it was the HDD over heating, so I moved it into a 5 1/4" drive bay and left the front open. Seemed to help.. so chances are it is your HDD..

Comment

recapping past events...

umn did youread the part about my HD cooling?
          my drives are generally cooler than the chipset on my mobo...so thats saying somethin...

the IBM 20Gb is an IBM but having lasted me prolly 2 years now (nfi how long really - ages) i would think its in the"good" group...it may be on its lasts legs.

i have noted of late though, since my reapplication of goop and other various additions (new 80Gb) the lockups now only really occur during audio output...if i am sitting silently typing away, its fine...

PSU levels should be all good, considering i can be in crappy desktop mode typing into this form and its happening lots and lots, then i can jump into a game of q3a, rtcw, CS, or DoD, and play for an hour flawlessly, then maybe one lockup (which'll discon me from game) but my point is if it was psu, wouldn't it crap out as soon as i start floggin the vid card - which would use more power...?

so, having ruled that out...could it be my NIC?

snip...paste:
          IRQ Device
          1 PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key)
          3 Communications Port (COM2)
          4 Communications Port (COM1)
          6 Standard floppy disk controller
          8 System CMOS/real time clock
          10 NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
          11 VIA USB Universal Host Controller
          11 VIA USB Universal Host Controller
          11 Intel(R) PRO/100+ PCI Adapter
          12 Hercules Game Theater(tm) XP 6.1
          13 Numeric data processor
          14 Primary IDE Channel
          15 Secondary IDE Channel

I have found that if you try and browse my shares my computer dies, well, gets the stutters...

to keep ui informed, i will be replacing my d600 with a tb1GHz tempry, to see how that goes, then if that don't work, we'll try dumpin a fresh install onto mah 40Gb tempry drive and see if i can get it to do it then

other option is to swap NICs to see if that makes a diff

*sigh* i hate changing PCI cards, I have to back mah mobo tray out a bit to get to the screws :(

Comment

I don't know if this may help ya or not but neither of my nics like sharing the IRQ with the USB, especially the Intel one, but that just maybe my m/b. :smokin:
            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

well i'll throw mah dec in, in place of mah pro100 and into a diff slot see if that helps...

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                I don't know if this may help ya or not but neither of my nics like sharing the IRQ with the USB, especially the Intel one, but that just maybe my m/b. :smokin:
                <center>:cheers:</center>
                man - i think u hit the nail on the head!!

/me thanks you

what i have done is swapped the intel Pro 100+ with an intel Pro 100s/m so, and whilst i was at it, i moved it to PCI2, which shares IRQs with my HPT370a, which i don't use atm, so its disabled, hence no conflicts...

so I will wait and see if all the niggly lockups go away :D
                : peace2:
                : we need a smiley that crosses its fingers :

Comment

Hey I hope it holds on for ya. ;)

Comment

well in closing, i think i can safely say the problem has been resolved, i will play with it again later to see if it was an issue with my NIC generally sharing an IRQ with the USB or if it was just the NIC being a *****...

anywayz, ta guyz, as usual, peace out! : peace2:

Comment

Just another reason not to use Intel products

Comment

This sounds like a power supply problem, though I can't be sure. I'm not too familiar with auxilliary power supplies and how you have it hooked up and what it supplies power to in your system; however, a 250 watt main power supply sounds about a 100 watts too low for the ammount of equipment in your system. A friend's system had a similar problem with the lockups you describe; so he went over to www.pcpowercooling.com and used their power supply selector to find out what he should have in terms of watts, bought and installed a power supply, and his problems went away.

Comment

Originally posted by JediAgent
                          Just another reason not to use Intel products

Was that comment really productive?
                          What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Yeah, a lot of issues recently do seem to be related to inadequate power.
                            Problem is, the PSU seems to be an "invisible" part of the PC. It's quite easy to get someone to purchase a sexy new video or sound card. But many are reluctant to get a seemingly mundane larger power supply.
                            But the PSU is where all the magic begins, and without it the magic just won't happen.
                            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by Albinus

Was that comment really productive?

We have to be productive?

Comment

Working...
                              X