What is this used for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this used for?

I always wondered what this end of the PSU power connectors was. Is it for SCSI or something?
    - Damien

A different angle...
    - Damien

Comment

you haven't been playing with computers for very long, have you? :) It's an AT power connecter, as opposed to an ATX connector which most PCs use now.

EDIT: Has your camera got a macro focus? It would make that much clearer...

Comment

It is an AUX power connector, much like the 4 pin P4 connector. On the older AT style PSU's there were 2 of those connectors, P8 and P9.

I have yet to use a non server board that supports that connector whereas a lot of Xeon boards I have used will accept those aux. connectors.

Comment

Actually Beefy i started building comps around a yr and half ago...i know what the older AT look like but i never noticed the Power Supply connector. Thx anyway.

About the camera i suppose it dows...just never read the manual or configured the camera...
          - Damien

Comment

Dell uses something like that, a p6 or p7 I believe. So if a dell psu dies, you have to buy theirs. I had a crazy customer that wanted his dell pIII 700 atx switched to a new case. That dell psu had to be used as well because of that connector. And yes, the dummy still has passive cpu cooling despite a stern warning about getting a $10 slot cooler.

edit: The only difference between the types of these seems to be the position of that tab on the bottom by your thumb in those pics.
            athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
            tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
            asus a7n8xe-dlx
            thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
            bfg 6800gt
            seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
            samsung dvdrw
            2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
            logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
            2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
            creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
            mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
            DFI infinity nf4 ultra
            thermaltake tsunami dream -black
            seagate sataII 500gb
            evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
            samsung sata dvd-rw
            2x1024 ocz black
            logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
            ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

Nobody answered Flaco's question. We all know it has the same form factor as old AT connectors, but with only one per PSu, what actually USES it?

Is it just for replacing a Dell PSu?

Comment

a lot of dual processor server motherboards use that connector for power. I would hope the power supply with that connector was at least 300W preferably more..

Comment

All dual Athlon mobo's that I know of use that connector.

Comment

Well there is the answer. At second glance I noticed that Vinnie had responded with that answer, but I thought he meant older servers, not current ones.

Comment

Its used on an Intel dual Pentium ll motherboard, bb440fx for an auxilary power source for some of the pci slots.
                      This is a motherboard that I currently have, but, requires a processor board for the cpu's as well as memory slots (8). Perhaps there is someone out there that can assist me in acquiring this processor board?
                      Much appreciated. :cheers:

Comment

Yo, FLaCo, nice closeups of your manicure though:D :devil win
                        Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you recall.

Comment

Working...
                        X