Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GA-7VTXE locking up

Hope someone can help ...

I've just installed a GA-7VTXE M/B with an AMD XP 1800+ chip and 512Mb PC2100 DDR RAM.
    On the mb is a dip switch which allows you to select the "system bus frequency" to either 100 or 133MHz.
    When it is on 100MHz the bootup screen tells me to chip is running at 1150MHz and everything is fine.
    When I flip it to 133MHz the screen tells me it's running at 1553MHz but the PC hangs after about 10 seconds.
    Even going into the BIOS when selected to 133MHz the PC freezes.

I know that the 1800+ chip should be at 1553MHz according to AMD's site, and that the mb / ram / cpu should all run at 133MHz ... correct?
    I have experienced this sort of lockup before (having been building PC's since 286s !!) and it's usually turned out to be an overheating cpu. I have checked the vendors site, confirmed the model number of the heatsink and fan, found the manufaturers site, and then checked the AMD site and it's on the list of 'recommended' fans.

Sorry for the long post .. thought I'd give you guys as much info as possible.

BTW, system = GA-7VTXE / XP 1800+ / 512 PC2100 / GeForce 2 / SB Live / ATX Case

Might want to make contact with the vendor because it sounds as if the motherboard may be bad. Had a buddy who just went to an AthlonXP setup and had similar problems. The company he was dealing with RMA'd the board and the processor both just to make sure.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Re: Gigabyte GA-7VTXE locking up

help! Help! Help!

I have a computer with a 7VTXE motherboard 512 Ram and a Athlon XP 1700+. My computer has become unstable and crashes and comes up with the blue screen of death every 2 mins and some times it wont reboot and you have to pull the PSU cord out and put it back in to start the system. This morning i booted up the computer and it come up hard drive faliure and nothing happend and the computer just turned off. I have checked all the cords from the hard drive to the motherboard but they were all ok.

Hope someone can help

Comment

Given that this thread is nearly 5 years old, it is very possible that the operating system has already told you what the problem is... the hard drive is toast. To double check, you might try putting your current hard drive in a friend's machine as a slave and see if it can be accessed normally. If it gives problems, causes BSOD on the other machine, fails to recognize it as a working drive and assigning a drive letter, or causes instability in the other machine, then it has failed and it is time to replace it. Hopefully you have backed up any vital data since the data from most hard drives that fail cannot be retrieved.
        My Toys

Comment

I have a 80Gig hard drive what capacity for the new one do you think i should get.

Comment

That depends entirely on your needs. Hard drives are relatively cheap nowadays and common capacities range upwards of 500GB in size. Just keep in mind that unless you have WinXP with at least SP1 installed, you will need to make your partitions smaller so utilize the entire hard drive space of the larger drives on the market.
            My Toys

Comment

help

Does someone now how to run scandisk on the hard drive but using the ms-dos version like a floppy disk or something to mark bad sectors. i need to know how to do this because my hard drive has bad sectors.

Thanks

Comment

What brand drive?
                GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                PC P&C 500W PSU
                2TB Seagate
                Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

i have a western digital 80gb hard drive

Comment

Then download Digital Lifeguard. There is a floppy version that will do some extensive checking in MS-DOS and let you know just how bad the drive is. If it has too many bad sectors, then it should not be trusted and should be replaced.

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?swid=1
                    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                    PC P&C 500W PSU
                    2TB Seagate
                    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Working...
                    X