Best Motherboards For Oc Athlons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Motherboards For Oc Athlons

Ok guys, I started this thread for lack of discussion on this topic....Which motherboard do you consider the best for overclocking AMD cpus. Consider performance, price, and compatiblilty (COUGH VIA).

Well first, there is nothing wrong with VIA chipsets. The biggest prob with them is the person setting one up. 1st you install the OS then the latest 4in1 drivers then video, sound, etc drivers. The order is very important and this is where most ppl screw up.
    Now the best overclocking boards out there all use VIA KT266A chipsets and all major manufacturers have boards based on this chipset so the best for you would be to checkout the features that each have and you want plus what you can afford.
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I just got an MSI board based on the KT266A chipset, and I love it. Every VIA chipset i've had has been great. From what I've seen (check <a href="http://www.vr-zone.com/guides/AMD/AthlonXP/">this</a> link) the best boards for OC'ing would have to be Epox.. That link shows how high some people have got (bear in mind they are extreme overclocks...) and what they used...

Comment

If you go with an Epox - get the 8KHA+ as opposed to the reqular 8KHA...the difference is the Kt266a chipset vs. Kt266 for Oc'ing (and general stability) you want the former.

Comment

epox are generally pretty good at overclocking, but it comes down to which chipset you get.

Comment

I say that my ECS motherboards also overclocks good! I even can run my cpu at 150mhz

Comment

Originally posted by RDR
              If you go with an Epox - get the 8KHA+ as opposed to the reqular 8KHA...the difference is the Kt266a chipset vs. Kt266 for Oc'ing (and general stability) you want the former.
              From what I've heard I'd say Epox are the best choice for overclocking. However maybe try something from Soyo, the SiS 645 P4 board I use is amazing! :)

Comment

I've been hearing really good stuff about both the Epox and Soyo board from others online.

Comment

I have heard that Epox boards (especially the 8KHA+) are excellent overclockers. From personal experience, Jetway motherboards are pathetic for overclocking. I have a KT133 based board - minimal VCore alterations and a max FSB of 110MHz are the only options avaiable. Not multiplier adjustment, no RAM voltage adjustment, no PCI/AGP dividers. Rubbish.

Comment

The KT133 in most cases was lucky to get to 108MHz in most cases though a few could get a bit more. :smokin:

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                      The KT133 in most cases was lucky to get to 108MHz in most cases though a few could get a bit more. :smokin:
                      106 rock stable - 108 wobbly - 112 no boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Penguinfreak

106 rock stable - 108 wobbly - 112 no boot.
                        Before I installed my GeForce 3 Ti 200, I had it stable at 115.

Comment

I've got the Abit KT7A with the KT133a chipset, ver. 1.1 board. I'm soon swaping it out for the 1.3 board (probably monday or tuesday... sunday here). My daughter is getting my old motherboard, and processor and a new case. All she has is a Shuttle HOT 591P with an AMD K6III 450 chip. Works ok, but she's wanting to play some games on it and it's a bit slow (she's 8 now), and wants to run them on my computer..

BTW I run an AMD Athlon 1000 at 1333 with 1.75 core volt. It's an AXIA "Y" is ya know what I mean. *S* I've run it to 14**, cant' remember the settings now as it was part FSB and part multiplier.. SEE!! that happens when you get old and decrepid! LOL

Anyway, It runs at 1333 alright with a copper HS, with dual fans. runs at around 38 deg. C idle and 44 to 45 working some. I cut a hole in the side of the case directly above the processor HS/FAN combo and installed an 80mm fan there blowing down,( with finer guard.. ouch! *S*). Inside i got cheap and taped a McDonalds cup using duct tape to around the side case fan and cut it off so that it is just above the fan for the processor. Brings in cooler outside air and forces it down via the McDonald cup, over the processor HS. Actually if the CPU/ HS/FAN quit, there's still enough of an airflow into my case over the HS from this auxilary fan to allow one to shut down before burn up.. tested it one day and unplugged the cpu fan on purpose. Warms up to about 60 degrees F and levels out there.. Too how for my liking but way under the max allowable value set by AMD of 95.

Well, I got to give the Athlon XP a try as it's comming in for the Version 1.3 board. I like Abit very well as it allows voltage settings, FSB settings, FSB tweak adjustmets, and multiplier settings, by "user defined". Abit is also good at keeping their bios updated at their website and DO differentiate between the 1.1 version and 1.3 version. www.newegg.com has them now for $86.00 NEW and refurbished once in a while for a bit less. My wife runs an Abit KT7A ver 1.3 we got refurbished and it's a reallhy stable MB.

Cheers!

Comment

This is just me, but the best board i have seen for OCing is the trusty Abit KG7. I have a KG7, and my friend has a EPOX with a KT266a chipset. We have the same processors and heatsinks, but I have been able to push my board a good 10mhz past his top Front side bus(His:159, Mine:170). and I beat him on mem bandwidth. This is just by my experience, but the KG7 is a powerful board.

Comment

Me and my friends all like the epox boards for extreme overclocking, but for just a little overclock you can get just about any board with a via kt266a chipset;)

Comment

Working...
                              X