Study: Linux nears Windows XP usability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Study: Linux nears Windows XP usability

just finished reading this short article, apparently a research group thinks Linux (specificly SuSE 8.2 Pro with KDE 3.1.2) is almost as user-friendly as winXP.

<size=2>Study: Linux nears Windows XP usability</size>
    [b] Linux, once viewed as an operating system that only computer geeks could appreciate, is today a much more user-friendly software that companies, public administrations and consumers can master almost as easily as Microsoft Corp.'s Windows XP. That's the core finding of a study published Aug. 1 by Relevantive AG, a Berlin-based company that specializes in consulting businesses on the usability of software and Web services.
    There is a link in the article to download the study in full, if any of you want all the gritty details.

Watch out M$!

:cheers:

They tested the preconfigured open-source software according to various criteria, such as the ease of creating and administrating files, copying CDs and performing some basic office tasks, such as composing a text and sending an e-mail.
    first of all...i must say a nice find but i feel you have taken it in a wrong way. imo being usable and being user friendly are two different things. opening an OOo writer and typing a document or opening galeon and surfing internet is another thing but when it comes to installing drivers or installing a software with LOADS of uninstalled dependencies...phew...u r in trouble.
    just compare it to installing something on WinXP...i m starting to like Linux myself but saying Linux is almost there will be exaggerating a wee bit.
    just my :2cents:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : [email protected]
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Comment

For crying out loud!

I just downloaded 2 different Linux iso's, and now to hear that Linux is anything near XP has terrified me:eek:

Well, I can just smash these CD's here and go find BSD I suppose:D

Hopefully it shall never be near XP:thumb:

That was truly 1 unit of measurement I never wanted to see Linux reach. What's next, a search dog named KRover:rofl:
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Working...
      X