Exchange Student - Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Student - Germany

Well as the topic suggests, from November 30th to February 1st this year (2 months) I am thinking about going as an exchange student to Germany. Whilst there I will stay with another family and go to school, etc. The thing that worries me is that, because they want you to mix in with the culture of the country you're staying in, they don't put you in a main city but rather in the middle/small sized cities, an hour or so away from a main city. Also, the time i'm going will be in the winter for Germany.

Will I get a bit bored there or is it a good experience?

Can anyone offer some input?

Ta.

P.S: I can't speak a word of german :)

ok dude i highly recomend hamburg
    and 'charlotte de paulsen gymanasium" a sweet ass place. i was there for 3 weeks on a "short term exchange" through school
    it is easy to navigate, hot chicks, and every1 speaks english

if you want more details just get in contact with me

(BTW mention that you are a friend of olie from 'faith' ;) )
    TT Original

Comment

Acid,

Most people your age in Germany speak English to some degree. My friend worked for a year over there as a nanny, and he spoke english most of the time. Basically, anyone over the age of 25~30 you need to have a working knowledge of German. Germans are extremely fussy about grammar, if you mispronounce a word or forget an umlaut older Germans will jump on you.

Hamburg is a large city Olie - so I don't think he will go there. If you are boarding with a family - you will be speaking German, at home this is the most common scenario.

So just a few pointers ATM - I'm very so I can't think of any more ATM - might come up with some more later ;)
      What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

A friend of mine has recently gone on tour of germany for his band, he said it was farkin cold, but fun :thumb:

Comment

alb

we were able to leave our houses, get on a bus and then on a subway, to get to the city which is around the size of ADL and back agian no probs.

their cities are sooooooo easy to navigate

you would have no probs
          and also, my host family had a n aussie accent when i left, so the speak english to you pretty readily
          TT Original

Comment

I was in Germany for 2 years (The West one - there were 2 back then)
            Doggone nice place.

I'd think you would find it to be a good experience. I would definitely reccomend learning at least the basics of Duetsche. But an amazing number of them speak English.

I'd say take that opportunity for sure:thumb:
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I'm just going off my friend's report..... I have 6 years of conversational German under my belt but I don't know whether that's enough. I can read the German news articles relatively easily from Deutsche Welle, is this good enough if I went to Germany? :?:

Comment

hope it's not too cold.. I just don't wanna get bored though! I mean i have to go to school there... and it is not in the main town.

Comment

I was in the military, most guys I was with knew how to order a beer, as that met their needs fully.

I learned enough to get lodging, order food in a restauraunt, and get transportation - bus, taxi, or train. (trains are a primary mode of travel there - exremely efficient and affordable)
                  I got around very well with that rudimentary bit of the language.

For the most part, if I made the attempt to speak their language (which is just being courteous to say the least, in any foreign country) I was almost always answered in English.
                  The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

so you have been assigned a scholl already
                    TT Original

Comment

Isn't there three types of high school? Realschule, Hauptschule and Gymnasium? If I remember correctly, German pupils are streamed after 4th grade, and go to the corresponding schools.

Comment

yep your right alb, they do get split up

but they have sweet school hours :D
                        TT Original

Comment

haven't booked anything yet...

2 of my friends might be coming as well.. doubt i will be anywhere near them though..

Comment

well
                            i recomend hamburg
                            DEFINITELY NOT BERLIN THOUGH
                            senic, yes; school, NO!
                            TT Original

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
                              I was in the military, most guys I was with knew how to order a beer, as that met their needs fully.
                              If I might be so intrusive, which branch? (Army here) I plan to make Germany one of my next requests for an overseas tour. That is, after I finish up South Korea :D

I have two years of conversational German under my belt, and I plan to get a more in-depth working knowledge of the language. Beautiful culture. I've been there once, as a part of a trip to Europe.
                              Chris "Raven"
                              News Crew - TweakTown
                              <!--
                              <font size=1>
                              <font color=green>Main Beast:</font>
                              - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
                              - 2x80GB WD 7200RPM | 40x12x48 Sony CDRW | Pioneer 16X DVD
                              - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
                              </font>
                              // -->
                              "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

How to ask a good question

Comment

Working...
                              X