Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10,000 RPM hard drive for Asus A7N8X Deluxe??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10,000 RPM hard drive for Asus A7N8X Deluxe??

OK, when I had my motherboard installed I was told by the people that did it, that it was capable of supporting some kind of 10,000 RPM hard drive?? (I have a WD 7,200 RPM 40 gig drive) They said I need some kind of controller for it and that the drive and controller would cost around $300.00?? What is this they are talking about? That would be 2,800 RPM faster than the drive I have currently....would it make a big difference from the 7,200RPM drive????
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Most likely it's a 'scuzzy' drive, and therefore your gonna need a SCSI controller card. Basically it's more trouble than it's worth bud. Be happ wit' whatcha got :afro:

Comment

More likely is that it would be a Serial ATA drive, and probably one of the WD Raptor drives.

The drive itself is faster than most others, but unfortunately it's only a 36GB drive at the moment. So it's basically a sacrifice of storage for speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
        More likely is that it would be a Serial ATA drive, and probably one of the WD Raptor drives.

The drive itself is faster than most others, but unfortunately it's only a 36GB drive at the moment. So it's basically a sacrifice of storage for speed.

Yes beefy THATS THE ONE! I forgot what kind it was! I am thinking of getting the controller for it and the drive and putting win xp on it and leaving my other WD 7,200 rpm drive for programs.
        Here are my specs:
        System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Comment

If u have the A7N8X-DX then no controller is required as the sata ports are built in.

Comment

Do I have to use a controller card if I want to use my old WD 7,200 drive also????
            Here are my specs:

Comment

No, the A7N8X-DX has support for both Parallel and Sata drives, u can use both on the same board at the same time.

Comment

Split it into two partitions, Windows XP on a 5000mb portion and the rest for installed programs and games. Everything will load faster.

Use your 7,200 RPM drive for storage and misc.

Comment

Originally posted by VinnieVen
                  No, the A7N8X-DX has support for both Parallel and Sata drives, u can use both on the same board at the same time.

Fantastic! That is what I am gonna do then!
                  Here are my specs:

Comment

Originally posted by Soulburner
                    Split it into two partitions, Windows XP on a 5000mb portion and the rest for installed programs and games. Everything will load faster.

Use your 7,200 RPM drive for storage and misc.

Nah, what I used do is put windows on a TOTALLY seperate physical drive from my programs, it seems to run better that way. I had it that way before, but my other drive went bad. Now that I will have two seperate drives again, I am going with my old configuration. Besides, 7,200 rpm is a LOT better than my old 5,200 rpm drive! It should be plenty fast for programs. So what I will do is put win xp on my new WD Raptor and put all my programs on my other drive!
                    Here are my specs:

Comment

NO
                      What you should do, is get 2 x Raptor's and make use of the SATA Raid in stripe mode (0) that's on the board and it will realy fly. :thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by webe3
                        They said I need some kind of controller for it and that the drive and controller would cost around 0.00?? What is this they are talking about?
                        SATA controllers dont cost 300 dollars!!!!
                        So they were talking about SCSI, but you can always go with 15000RPM ones :D

Comment

Originally posted by kane2g
                          SATA controllers dont cost 300 dollars!!!!
                          So they were talking about SCSI, but you can always go with 15000RPM ones :D
                          I'd have to agree, no sata controller card I have even seen costs anywhere near that much. IF they they really were talking about sata, then they were trying to rip you off... a) your mobo already supports it b) they don't cost that much c) they didn't know what the hell they were talking about

however SCSI contollers do cost that much at times, but even then you can get much cheaper ones... in fact I have a scsi card that only cost me $50, but it is rather limited :(

Comment

Working...
                          X