Intel Pentium 4 1.6A Overclocking!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Pentium 4 1.6A Overclocking!

Just checking in with a quick post here - I brought a new Intel Pentium 4 1.6A processor the other day knowing they were "OK" for overclocking, I didn't realise they'd be this good. It posts at 2.5GHz(900MHz overclock) but doesn't boot into Windows. But at 144MHz FSB it posts and boots into Windows XP at 2.4GHz (800MHz overclock) - It still isn't fully stable yet with a Soyo Dragon Plus motherboard (SIS 645 chipset) but I'm being sent a VIA P4X266a board soon which hopefully should improve things.

I'll probably write up an article soon about it.

Can I have ya old box now? :D

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
      Can I have ya old box now? :D
      It's still in the old box... :)

Comment

Maybe when it comes out of it? :hopeful: :D
        :laugh: :laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Tweak
          Just checking in with a quick post here - I brought a new Intel Pentium 4 1.6A processor the other day knowing they were "OK" for overclocking, I didn't realise they'd be this good. It posts at 2.5GHz(900MHz overclock) but doesn't boot into Windows. But at 144MHz FSB it posts and boots into Windows XP at 2.4GHz (800MHz overclock) - It still isn't fully stable yet with a Soyo Dragon Plus motherboard (SIS 645 chipset) but I'm being sent a VIA P4X266a board soon which hopefully should improve things.

I'll probably write up an article soon about it.
          Mr. Tweak,
          I have the same setup, the Soyo Dragon Ultra and a 1.6a. I am running it stable at 145fsb (2.32ghz) at 1.675v. It runs prime95 all night long and 3dmarks 2001 se no problem. The only problem is you have to trick it into doing a cold boot whenever you change the voltage. oh also, the spdif can only be used with a 2 speakers setup or with a headphone. I am disappoint with the spdif out because I was gonna set this up for a HTPC, but I can live with my Santa Cruz for now.
          This system should be awesome with my GeForce4 Ti4600 when it arrives (hopefully something this week).:cheers:

Comment

I have a Northwood 1.6a that will overclock with ease to 2.5, running it on a MSI 845 Ultra AR. It runs stable with the intel heatsink but not wanting to fry this puppy, I was hoping you could inform me on the best temps to get or to expect.
            Or just the safe zone I should try for.
            I sold my 1800xp (overclocked big time) trying to get away from having a windtunnel away from my computer desk.
            Any info would be a great help...:D
            Thanks

ODINN

Comment

My Northwood 1.6a at 2.4GHz sits around 50c to 55c - I'd be aiming for this temperature range or lower.

Comment

Originally posted by ODINN
                I have a Northwood 1.6a that will overclock with ease to 2.5, running it on a MSI 845 Ultra AR. It runs stable with the intel heatsink but not wanting to fry this puppy, I was hoping you could inform me on the best temps to get or to expect.
                Or just the safe zone I should try for.
                I sold my 1800xp (overclocked big time) trying to get away from having a windtunnel away from my computer desk.
                Any info would be a great help...:D
                Thanks

ODINN
                My Soyo Dragon Ultra temp sensors are not very reliable. The temp in the Bios always around 45-47c and using the ITE software that came with the board, the temp seems to be always around 50-52c. These temps stays the same even when I run everything at 1.6 or 2.3ghz. I tried MBM5, but that didn't seems to support the SIS645 chipset just yet. Hopefully the author of that great proggie will add the sis645 chipset support soon. If you are running at 2.5ghz at default voltage, then I don't think you have anything to worry about. I did the vid_mod on my cpu to 1.8v default. I am still using the Intel Heatsink, but I ripped the fan off and zip tied a delta 60mm fan on top of it. There's a lot of air going thru the heatsink now, but it's kinda loud. I am trying to find a way to quiet it down a little.

Comment

Nice overclock dudes! I wish that i could push my xp this far!

Comment

Very nice OC!
                    Wanna write an article with it next to an OC'ed XP2000 and a normal 2.2. I would like to see what exactly Intel can get done with that speed. Alot i assume....

Comment

Hey InterTech,
                      I also have the Dragon Ultra but with a 2.0a and I can't seem to get the bios settings right for good overclocking.
                      Can you tell me some settings for me to use to get my OC higher.
                      I'm currently at 2.3ghz with 116 clock setting/1.625 vcore and 3:4 cpu:dram ratio. Nothing great - but stable.

Comment

Theres something special about the 1.6a in overclocking it.
                        I have a feeling that intel did one of their old numbers in
                        having alot of faster chips and marking them at a lower speed....
                        to meet the supply and demand for them.....:p

Comment

Originally posted by Mr T
                          Hey InterTech,
                          I also have the Dragon Ultra but with a 2.0a and I can't seem to get the bios settings right for good overclocking.
                          Can you tell me some settings for me to use to get my OC higher.
                          I'm currently at 2.3ghz with 116 clock setting/1.625 vcore and 3:4 cpu:dram ratio. Nothing great - but stable.
                          Mr. T
                          1. take the thermal pad off of the heatsink and use Artic Silver 2 or 3 for better heat transfer.

2. Memory performance should be set to normal and cpu:dram to 1:1. if you can go higher with these settings, then you can play with it later.

3. Increase your vcore using the vid_mod method, procedures found here . Depend on how high your vcore will be, you may need a better heatsink.

4. The 2.0a may not be a good overclocker as the 1.6a.

Good luck...

Comment

Is anyone else here sick of the NOISE from Athlon OC'ing?
                            -Bill

Comment

Originally posted by ODINN
                              Theres something special about the 1.6a in overclocking it.
                              I have a feeling that intel did one of their old numbers in
                              having alot of faster chips and marking them at a lower speed....
                              to meet the supply and demand for them.....:p
                              No i think Intel realized it actually needed a 300A again to bring back some popularity again in performance minded communities AND in price minded communities looking for a deal in the mid range CPU system (a 1.6A can be had for equal that of an XP at same speed, i think) Kill two birds with one stone, WHILE selling more procs at a lower price, by only alotting some high speed cores to a lower speed. Hmmm.....
                              They'd be idiots not to.

Comment

Working...
                              X