XP home and pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP home and pro

XP Home and Pro is very easy to set up for high speed internet.
    As an @home service tech this OS has been the most stable that I have seen so far. Now hope it gets more compatable with old hardware and old software hehe.
    Skarecrowe

I heard there were some compatability issues with WinXP and cable service? Is that true?

Comment

XP has a prob with the original Intel 21041 chip nics that Optus@home used not the actual service itself. ;)
      That's why atm when I'm online I'm using SE and not XP. :smokin:
      <center></center>

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
        XP has a prob with the original Intel 21041 chip nics that Optus@home used not the actual service itself. ;)
        That's why atm when I'm online I'm using SE and not XP. :smokin:
        <center></center>
        Ouch :(

So, no way to access Optus@Home with XP? Or is it just a few cards?

Comment

i have a friend with O@H who had to go back to SE because HL would lag very badly under xp. His connection was fine, and he tried everything- reinstalling, reformatting ect but couldnt get a ping under 500.
          He went back to SE and was back getting normal pings. That one stumped me...

Comment

Originally posted by [size=7
            Osiris[/size]]

Ouch :(

So, no way to access Optus@Home with XP? Or is it just a few cards?
            Yeah ya can and I will once I have a spare couple $'s to get a nic that will work propperly with XP. ;)
            It's basically the original nics that Optus supplied to all us ppl who were the 1st lot to jump on their cable. :(
            I can still d/l stuff for XP via SE but just XP tells me the nic doesn't have the cable connected to it which in the SE drivers has that part of the driver disabled which this function is not included with the XP driver. :cry:

<center></center>

Comment

i say O@H should supply u with a free card!! have u tried asking yet?
              At the request of wiggo ;)

Comment

Yes I did and I was told that I would be better off buyin' it from a shop as it would cost me one fifth the cost of gettin' it from them. :(
                <center></center>

Comment

omg, what arseholes! u should get it for FREE!
                  At the request of wiggo ;)

Comment

No exchange on the nic unless it dies which I'm not goin' to kill as there would be several unhappy ppl here while waitin' for the replacement. :smokin:
                    <center></center>

Comment

Just get an intel/dec tulip (21143), plenty of driver support under all os' being its so common etc...
                      SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
                      Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

Speaking as a Service Tech that goes into peoples homes everyday to work on @home, I have about 20 to 30 different ethernet devices that I can use on OS ranging from Win 95a-c,
                        Win98 and SE, ME, NT, XP and most Macs, I havent had any problems with any of the cards that XP is compatable with, the SMC 1211tx is the card of choice with xp for me, but I only have a few left hehe. I did have a problem using a Toshiba PCX2100U the built in USB and the drivers that were provided by Toshiba for XP, I ended up putting a SCM1211tx pci card in that one. It seems strange that the techs would only have one type of card to use in your area, we were given a list of supported cards on the xp enviroment. As well as a list of usb devices and cable modems that are supported by @home for XP. Of course I didnt have all the cards on the list or usb devices or cable modems.
                        Usually the local provider will put in an order and get whatever the retailer can ship. We use 5 modems in our system, from The RCA235 Surfboard3100 Com21 2 types and 3COM what we call the shark fin. Out of those modems and the modems that i have seen in the field I recommend the Motorola Surfboard 3100/4100 or the RCA235. These two modems have built in GUI pages that you can check out to see what these modems are acttually doing.
                        I have not yet tried to get a USB modem to connect to XP other than that Toshiba that the customer owned.
                        Skarecrowe

Comment

i wish i had cable...........:rolleyes:

Comment

:( I found that I'm waiting on modem drivers for dsl for the XPas well.

Comment

Yeah the Optus help desk told me that if I get the SMC 1211tx card I would still get support for it but not with any other card so I'll just see if I can locate a retailer for it in my area. ;)
                              <center></center>

Comment

Working...
                              X