OMFG someone tell me where I am going wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMFG someone tell me where I am going wrong

Well here goes [be for-warned you gonna need some caffeine or beer cause this gonna be one long post].

I started building my first PC around this time last year and for as long as I can remember it has been plagued with instability. First I thought maybe I just didn't know enough and I had set something up wrong (hardware or software) but as time and my sanity has gotten less and less I am starting to doubt this. Having already tried numerous forums (and now this one :P ) I think I have tried most of the common stuff and double checked that I am doing stuff right I think there is a genuine problem here.

So what have I done to try and eliminate it? Basically built another PC and swapped parts from one to the other to try and narrow it down but I have reached the point where I am down to the new Mobo, Memory Video card and CPU (excepting my case and HDD).

So why not rush out and just buy a new HDD or PSU and be done with it?? Primary reason number one: money I just spent $600 on new gear that didn't fix a thing. But on the plus side I almost got 2 full PC's "smokin:

Anyway the actual problem in a little more detail is much like Skull shots although most of the time my PC wont fully lock-up it will just crash applications and eventually will not even launch them when you run the executables.

If anyone can suggest anything. I mean "ANYTHING" at all or just offer some constructive critisism on what I may actually be doing wrong, dont hesitate to post back.

Many, Many thanks.

Ok well the problem maybe the BIOS chip on the motherboard as Epox was sent a bad batch of them that they have been replacing so get in touch with them and they'll give you the details to look for to see if your board is one of the effected ones. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Thanks Wiggo I will send them an E-mail and see what they have to say.

Comment

Well I got a reply to the e-mail I sent to Epox the dudes name was ERic (yes that is how he wrote it no typo from my behalf) and in short detail he says "There are no Epox motherboards in Australia which are affected with faulty BIOS chips."

I might point out actually at this time that the only things I have not replaced (had enough money too replace) are the power supply and the Hard Disk Drive and I will also add I spent a good few hours scanning the surface of the HDD on the weekend.

So in my opinion would it be possible the Power supply isn't quite up to the job??

Please any thoughts are appreciated
        :wave:

Comment

Generally Aopen PSU's @ 300w are ok though that's not to say that you may not have got a rare bad one. :smokin:
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Okay well heres my next question, how close should the values be for voltage when I check in the BIOS or using a program to monitor it? like within 5% is that good enough to keep a system running stable or should it be nearer like .01 of a volt difference + or - .

Sorry I know these are extremely stupid questions but I am positive I have tried everything I know of, and I need to double (more like triple) check "everything" and basically compare notes if ya know what I mean?

Thanks again,
            i swear I am gonna owe ya a truck load of when I am done here. :laugh: :thumb:

Comment

best thing to do cybermick, is prolly to visit some1 like myself who has several spare PCs and components, and do swappy changey to test things out - see where the fault is, you really shouldn't have to go out and buy new parts to test old ones, thats a little on the wrong side of productive...

next time u r in w'bool, u could drop me a line in ICQ or sms me on the mobile, pop in to mah place and have a diagnostics session ;)

i can only suggest that you run the system with bare minimum necessities, and check for IRQ conflicts and the like, no doubt u've been told the same everywhere else...

Comment

Or just bring it in to me, and I'll take a look at it. :rolleyes:

Comment

Working...
                X