Motherboard Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboard Speed

HELP ME SOMEONE IF YOU CAN........I HAVE A COMPAQ DESKPRO 4000 THAT I HAVE SLOWLY UPGRADED. 40GB HD, 16MB VIDEO, 320MB RAM. THE RAM I 'M USING IS PC133 BUT MY FSB IS ONLY 66MHZ. QUESTION....CAN I SPEED UP THE BUS CLOSER TO THE MEMORY SPEED WITHOUT CHANGING THE MB??? HAVE A 300MHZ PII INSTALLED(FACTORY).

RUNNING 98SE AND SYSTEM IS VERY STABLE. SYSTEM WAS USED ON A NETWORK AT A MAJOR DRUG MFG. CO. , SO I'M HAVING TROUBLE BRINGING UP THE BIOS SETTINGS. TRIED F10, F12, F2, ETC...........CANNOT GET TO SCREEN. HELP PLEASE, DON'T HAVE $$$$ FOR P4 YET. SCREWCREW23

This is one forum where you don't have to yell :)

Compaq's are notorious for not allowing you to get into any real bios. I've heard F8 works.
    Chris "Raven"
    News Crew - TweakTown
    <!--
    <font size=1>
    <font color=green>Main Beast:</font>
    - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
    - 2x80GB WD 7200RPM | 40x12x48 Sony CDRW | Pioneer 16X DVD
    - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
    </font>
    // -->
    "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

How to ask a good question

Comment

IMHO you'd be better off leaving that as a backup PC and planning a fresh build. :smokin:
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Actually you are lucky you got it to work with 133 mem as there were some problems early on with 66mhz buss using anything over 100mhz mem. Something aboutit being 2x as fast was causing problems. Can't remember were I read that soooo long ago.

Comment

Actually that problem only affected a very small percentage of board but the biggest prob for some was getting DIMM (double sided) modules and fitting them into SIMM (single side) slots. :smokin:
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Actually, the biggest problem is Compaq.. :D

Comment

Working...
            X