phone home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phone home

Hi, Looking for a program that my son who is in Afghanistan, can load onto his computer, and along with a microphone and speakers can call home (USA) to our regular telephone. Any recommendations or suggestions ? Thanks, Mike

You can call, its CHEAP! LOL

My phone bill during the 1st Gulf War was over $2000 US one month.
    I was there for 6!
    It cost me a small fortune...

Good luck with the software hunt. I have heard about some that work. Although I have not seen them in action.

Chez

Comment

there is an app in Windows that can do it, I've even used it before... but for some reason I can't even remember what letter it starts with : omg:

It's been in every windows since at least 98 but for some reason it is hidden in XP and I can't remember the command to bring it up

maybe after a few more cups of coffee I'll remember what it is.... :shrug:

EDIT: in the meantime, you could check out net2phone. I don't know how good it is though, but it looks like something to check out: http://web.net2phone.com/products/commcenter/

Comment

Chezman29, it is not cheap. He tells us that it costs him
        $1.60 per minute to call home. He is calling us (parents)
        and his wife every other day. We can not call him, since he is in the Military. He also is scheduled to be there for 6 months.

Comment

ICQ and Yahoo let you use those mics. and I think AOL too?

Comment

I don't think you read most post. I said it cost me $2000 a month in phone bills. I KNOW its not cheap.
            I was there for Gulf War I.

Good luck,
            Chez

Comment

It's okay Chezman I think he got what you said lol...he said it costs his son $1.60/min to call him in the US

Comment

i just found out PhoneFree
                this app allows you to make free PC-to-Phone calls anywhere in US. I have not used it so don't have any experience with it.

one thing i would like to point out here though.
                their privacy policy is not one of the best out there :(
                Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                Last Updated:
                10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                ======================
                jabber : [email protected]
                =======================
                Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                yabaa dabaa doo...
                Customized for 1024x768

Comment

being from the commo side of the 160th SOAR(ABN) i have found a couple of tricks.

1. he could use a MARRS station to converse via teletype (not recommended)

2. He could call his home station via 1 800 number and ask the switchboard operator to connect by using the "morale call" setup then all charges would be billed either U.S. domestic rates or the base would handle the charges. (recommended)

Comment

Morale calls suck. They are limited to 15 min and are all monitored.

I think what they are looking for is something without those limitations.

My wife is a Launch Control Officer (the ones who launch the nukes in an attack-she wouldn't die, but I would!) can't even get a better system. We just end up calling and worry about the cost later.
                    Sometimes its best to take you losses and make the time apart a little better......

Chez

Comment

granted the calls are limited and could be monitored but lets think about it for a minute.

1. is 15 minutes better than nothing when you are so far away.

2. why would you be worried about a monitored call unless you were knowingly going to discuss something that was dealing with OPSEC.

3. if money was no issue then why ask the forums for a program that would let you do it for free.

4. who is to say that the line that he connects to in Afganistan is a clear line (not monitored, capable of sustaining a net call for longer than 5 min. without disconnecting) i mean come on we have all had that nitemare with dialup haven't we.

JMHHO

Comment

Why don't you think about it for a minute. I don't have time to waste explaining it to a ground pounder.

My wife has a TSSCI clearance, as in NUCLEAR knowledge. You think I care to even ask about that ****.
                        I was talking about having intimate calls that you care not to have others listen to.

The person that was asking was looking for a better way to communicate. That was it.

Furthermore, the 15 min moral call starts at the time you place the call at origin. So after you call the 800#, connect to the operator at the forward base, then they connect you to your local # where your spouse is, you now have 10min. or less. IT SUCKS.

We have our system. Being in the military for 11 years, we have our system. It works for us.

The person asking was looking into using the internet calling programs to try out to see if it would work. I wholeheartetly agree that is a great idea if they can find a program that will work.

Next time READ the thread and take your bullet statements for a walk........:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Chez:cheers:

Comment

ok cheese first of all lets just get something out in the open here.

note bullets

1. busting out a "groundpounder" as you call them can only mean that you would either be a fly baby or a semen (spelling correct/i wanted to use that word)

2. if i were just a regular army leg ("groundpounder" to you) i wouldn't take offence to your narrow minded, pin head, pencil necked comments. (for others that may be in the air force or navy please don't take these comments to heart.)

3. i too served in the gulf during desert storm but also note that i was in panama for just cause and in somolia with task force ranger so i know that the morale calls do work mayby not for the 1(900) crowd but for most of the soldiers that want to check up with family.

4. the fact that your wife has a TSSCI clearance doesn't mean squat to me. being from the commo side of special operations i know for a fact that they give TS and TSSCI clearances to almost anyone who asks for them. my security level was TSSCI because i had to enter the SCIF on a regular basis.

5. i never suggested that you or your wife would discuss sensitive material.

6. these forums are for suggestions or advice. no ones answers are written into law. (exept beefy,wiggo,darth. LOL) he asked a question and i gave my answer. if you read i even stated that-JMHHO

7. no one asked you to even try to explain anything to anyone so you don't have to waste your time. find a hobby. fishing, golf, kite building, basket weaving, hell even model trains work for some people. what you do with your own time isn't anyones concern. if you don't have the time then shut up and don't waste it with a reply.

8. no need to BUST OUT on the tread starter especially if they are new to the forums.

9. im pretty sure that i also stated that the phone lines in afganistan are not very internet freindly. the lines in mogadishu weren't we used sat phones.

10. are you tired of dodging bullets yet? because us "groundpounders" do it for fun.

Comment

okay guys Cut it Out
                            enough of it.
                            if you guys want to solve anything then just PM each other or take it on IM's.
                            nothing more will be accepted here.
                            i m not recommending this thread for a closure as the thread-starter might need a bit more of info but this is just for both of you. Stop talking s**t in here.
                            Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                            Last Updated:
                            10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                            ======================
                            jabber : [email protected]
                            =======================
                            Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                            yabaa dabaa doo...
                            Customized for 1024x768

Comment

k sry to those that might have been offended by my use of nicknames for the air force and navy. i have the utmost respect for those brothers in arms that defend our way of life.

good luck and God speed.

Comment

Working...
                              X