is there a virus that eats Seti WUs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there a virus that eats Seti WUs?

It seems that one of my systems is crunching WUs but when its time to submitt I dont get credit for them!!!! Is there a virus that can do this?????
    WTF is going on.
    I get the line that says.
    "Found data file. NO
    Found result header file. NO"
    than it starts to DL another WU.
    Whats going on? Im runnin 3.03 CLI and SetiDriver. Same versions as all my other systems!

I believe that is due to a work unit that was already completed and uploaded, but not replaced. That's been happening allot lately with the severely limited resources the Berkeley people seem to have at the moment. When you connect, the program replaces the missing WU(s) b4 uploading any completed WU's. The SETI Driver screen displays the quantity of units needing to be returned and the quantity of units that need to be filled. If they don't match, then you know you have the situation I've described. Happy crunching! ;)
    :-(

Comment

I thought that ya weren't bein' affected by the slow swapouts? :confused:

BTW with this, "Found data file: no. Found result header file: no.", the "no." means number. ;)

Comment

Well I know what you are reffering to elrado but this is different.
        I was watching the SETI Driver, and it said NTF 8 RTT 5
        Than it downloaded a WU. Than it started to DL another one and the screen changed to NTF7 RTT4
        DLed another one and NTF 6 RTT 3
        It filled out all the slots, but didnt submitt any of the completed WUs in!!!!!!

BTW Wiggo, I didnt think I had a problem cuz I never really watched all the WUs being submitted from Each system!!!
        So any thoughts on this??

Comment

I'm not familiar with the NTF 8 RTT 5, etc. codes you are referring to. Do they appear in the SETI@home client: i386-winnt-cmdline transmit status text box?

Are you running another casheing program in addition to SETI Driver?

BTW, you may want to switch to ver. 3.08 of the CLI client. Although it does not make any difference with regard to the swapping probs.

Comment

I think heres reffering to RTF as Ready to FIll, and RTT as Ready To Transmit

Comment

Geez! Of course amd, thanks.

Kane, I think what you are observing is just a result of the confusion that results from the irregular UL'ing and DL'ing of the WU's. Unless there is some sort of a flaw in the SETI Driver coding. Remember there is a 3 minute refresh rate on the SETI Driver window. That may have something to do with it. :confused:

Comment

I sure hope so. I dont want to redo THAT system. It is my fileserver!
                I guess I better start backing up tho. I dont want to loose all that data. :snip:

Comment

OK, So I went on searching for answers to the Seti issue that I had. I went to overclockers.com and found out that most farms use both SETIDriver and SETIQue to store WUs. Pretty much store WUs in Driver for one day and store a week in SEITQue.
                  I decided to do the same thing.
                  I was amazed how simple it is.
                  Now I system uploads all WUs.

Here where this gets really interesting.
                  I submitted some WUs and saw that the faulty system (named Bishop) has all the units highlighted in red.
                  At first I thought it was just cuz maybe they were old. So i deleted all the folders and put in 7 new WUs.
                  To my surprise I just saw another WU in red. I just checked and it says "Last upload status Program modified" And also on top it says "Result was dropped"
                  I checked all the other WUs from Bishop and they alll say that!!
                  All the other systems say. "Last upload status success"

So I just replaced the SETIDriver and CLI file. Have wait for another WU to finish to see what happens.
                  So what gives? WHO/WHAT modified my SETI files?
                  I know I had msblast worm but other than that, the system is clean. NO spyware. I checked it with both Norton and AVG viruses and they are all good!
                  Hopefully this will work now and submit good WUs. Will let ya'll know when a WU finishes.
                  Till then cross yer fingers for me.

Comment

Heres a pic of it.

Comment

Well Im glad to report that overriding the files with a new copy worked.
                      Seems that something got into those suckers and submitted BAD WUs. I wonder if I got credit for them or not? Now I know that all is well. but still makes me wonder WHAT exactly did that.

Comment

Originally posted by kane2g
                        ... I went to overclockers.com and found out that most farms use both SETIDriver and SETIQue to store WUs. Pretty much store WUs in Driver for one day and store a week in SEITQue.
                        I decided to do the same thing. I was amazed how simple it is. Now 1 system uploads all WUs.
                        Does SETIQue require a bonified server? I seem to remember one of those programs relying on having a server based network.

I, for one, do not have a server on my network.

BTW, Glad you seem to have gotten your WU issues resolved.

Comment

what is a bonified server?

I have just a regular peer to peer network. nothing fancy.
                          Ran SETIQueue install, configured for how many WUs I want to have stored, lowered the #of WUs in SETIDriver into single digits. and enabled Proxy in SetiDriver to the IP of the system with SETIQueue, which is also my gateway (192.168.0.1)
                          and put in the default port number.

Pretty much now SETIDriver connectst to SETIQueue instead of Berkley. It gets its new WUs from it, and submits its finished ones.
                          Than when I go online (im on dialup) I just make the SETIQueue connect to submit the finished WUs and DL new ones if needed. I think this can be automized, but I dont have it turned on as it takes out fun from submitting WUs :D
                          I also get whole bunch of cool info out of it.
                          I added some infro about SETIQueue to my link, so ya might want to check it out.
                          I think this is a better way to go in a farm than SETIDriver alone, as I know that all the WUs are submitted and I dont have to VNC over to every single system to check if there is 1 or 2 WUs that didnt get uploaded.

Im still going throught all the stuff this program can do, and I really like what I see!! :thumb:
                          Hope that answers your question.

Comment

I'm not all that server savy, for one thing. The problem I see is due to my router-based network, which assigns IP addresses to machines as they come online. If the machine with SETIQueue is restarted, it will be assigned a new IP address and I suspect the SETI Driver clients(?) won't know where to connect. I may be all wet here or if it is a problem, I may just have to set fixed IP addresses, which I suppose is possible to do.

When I get a chance I'll install SETIQueue and see how it goes. Thanks again. :thumb:

Comment

Thats all true, BUT.
                              I share my dialup, so my main machine automatically gets 192.168.0.1 IP. No matter what. But if you dont want to install it on you main, You can put the name of the system into the same field and it will find the IP.
                              It also doesnt use any resources. mine is using 752KB of memory!!!!
                              It also makes my life easier, as I can see which systems submited their WUs and when, etc. So i know that one of the systems is down.

Comment

Working...
                              X