Patent battle to culminate in Brussels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patent battle to culminate in Brussels

this is a little late since the action mentoned in this is supposed to take place today, but this is not a good thing and you all should take a peek:

Patent battle to culminate in Brussels

By Matthew Broersma
    Special to CNET News.com
    August 26, 2003, 8:25 AM PT

More than 600 Web sites plan to take part in an online protest against a proposed European law on software patents that's timed to coincide with a real-life protest in Brussels, Belgium, on Wednesday.

Those rallying against the proposal, including some of Europe's most prominent scientists and software businesses, believe its current draft would open the door to the patenting of software and business processes, effectively shutting out software competition from small and medium-size developers.

The Foundation for a Free Information Infrastructure (FFII), which is organizing the online protest, is urging Web sites to temporarily replace their front pages with a note of protest. Some sites are also redirecting people to a petition and a call for action against the proposed directive that regards patents of computer-implemented inventions, which will be submitted to the European Parliament for approval on Sept. 1.

The call for action has already amassed more than 7,000 names since earlier this year, including several members of European Parliament and developers such as Opera Software, while the more general petition has accumulated more than 170,000 names.

"Leaders of the scientific communities and software business world took the directive proposal apart and condemned it in every respect. Yet in June, the European Parliament's Legal Affairs Commission endorsed this proposal with further amendments that make it even worse," Benjamin Henrion, one of the protest organizers, said in a statement. "More and more people are now seeing this very clearly."
    it goes on and the rest can be read here: http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-5068007.html?tag=fd_top

yeah i have noticed it too and some very important sites like those of "GIMP Tool Kit" and "Penguin Liberation Front" have gone down but i am not able to understand this whole saga. i hope you people can put a bit more light on it.
    imo if a developer puts his time, money and energy into a software, shdn't he/she be allowed to get that thing patented.
    i m not saying that there should not be any open-source. that is different thing. that is when GNU licences step in. if you want to share the code with other developers and want to encourage them to make it better than its your choice but wat abt a guy who does not want to share his code? shdn't he be allowed to get his work patented?
    may be i m thinking on entirely wrong lines but i hope you people will make it clearer for me :confused:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : [email protected]
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Working...
    X