NF7-S sata/raid 0 /ram suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NF7-S sata/raid 0 /ram suggestions

Hope some one can help me out with this cause i have no experience with raid and etc.

I`ve decided make a big system upgrade and was thinking of buying a NF7-S MB and 2x WD Raptor 360GD 36.7GB SATA150 hd`s . Then run a raid 0 .

Is this possible/efective? and would i need a raid controller?

And last question would 2x3200 ddr blocks and a Athlon Barton XP 3000+ (2167MHz) FSB 333MHz , make the system perfect?

Pls give some advice.

Thanks.

Sorry i see now this post should have been placed in the (What should i buy) forum.

Does the Nf7-S support RAID? If so, no controller needed, it has one.
    I've just bought a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2, has everything on it - SATA, RAID 0,1, 0+1, GIGLAN, Dual channel DDR400, n 400 FSB.
    Nice price too. It supports RAID over SATA aswell - and in your case would work well (I think).

I haven't got much experience with RAID either, just been readin up! But I think is more geared toward server apps, as they can group multiple drives together for performance and security.

Ye, go the DDR400!:thumb:

Comment

if your after some extras like dual lan/soundstorm, take a look at the Asus A7N8X Deluxe. has support for 400fsb cpus, Sata raid, ddr400. nice overclocker as well.

:thumb:

Comment

The Abit NF7-S is capable of RAID 0 with the onboard SATA controller and if ya make sure that it's a version 2.0 then changin' the CPU from 333DDR FSB to a 400DDR one is very easy but if ya plan to really overclock it then I'd suggest gettin' good quality PC3500 memory as it would soon stretch PC3200 to the limit. Also that mobo has SoundStorm so it only misses out on the 2nd nic over the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe which few ppl find a use for.

Comment

gas: There should be a revised NF7-S motherboard very soon with Nvidia's new MCP-S chipset, this has integrated SATA support and replaces the current onboard solution. This version may also carry hardware support for Nvidia's soon to be released Nforce NVoverclock software. So if you're not in a hurry, I would suggest that you wait for the revised board.

MCP-S specs
          Parallel ATA-33/66/100/133, Serial ATA-150 connectors, 6 USB 2.0 ports, 10/100Mb/s and 10/100/1000Mb/s Ethernet controllers, 3 FireWire (IEEE1394) ports, Dolby Digital encoder as well as PCI and ACR buses.

Comment

I have an ABIT NF-7S v2.0 and use a couple of Corsair XMS 3500 256MB. They are expensive but with them I run 400FSB on my Barton 2500+ with CAS 4-2-2 CL2. NF7-S v2.0 has got the MCP-T with Soundstorm (sounds like s*** in my ears so I use an Audigy) Firewire, USB 2.0 and one NVidia 100Mbit network card.

The onboard Silicon Image Serial ATA controller has 2 outputs (SATA -150).

Comment

Working...
            X