Help, with Windows XP Shutdown!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, with Windows XP Shutdown!

On my new computer, whenever I shut down my computer, I just have to click on the turn off button, and click on shut down, and it would shut down automatically. But, with my old computer, I installed Windows XP, and when I shut it off, I have to do it manually. It would say "Your computer is safe to shut down" I was wondering if there's a registry patch or something to fix this so that the computer would shut it down automatically.

Check the power management options in your BIOS
    If the system is too old, that auto-shutdown may not even be available.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

i had that problem too...it used to turn off automatically. now with XP it wont. i checked the Bios quickly one day but didnt see it..next time i restart or turn my comp on...can someone remind me to check?:)

Comment

It could even be a problem in your windows power management settings

Comment

if your bios had apm or acpi enabled when xp was installed, then there will be an option in the Power Management section under a tab called "APM" that you must tick to enable the APM features, if you haven't got that there is a registry hack to change:

cutpaste:

Settings
          Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\
          CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
          Value Name: PowerdownAfterShutdown
          Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)
          Value Data: (0 = reboot, 1 = power down)

courtesy www.regedit.com

Comment

Working...
          X