Whats your DC pitch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats your DC pitch?

I know that Im not the only one trying to convince people to run DC program.
    So what is your approach?
    Does it work?
    If they say no, do you do it anyway?
    LMK I wanna know.

I just point people to the Folding site and a couple articles about it and let it do my talking for me. Most of the people I try to sell it to are already at least a little computer savvy so it's not really a hard sell unless they are already crunching Seti. The biggest problem I run into with the less-geekish crowd is paranoia. For some reason they think running a DC app opens the floodgate to all the 'evil' on the Internet. If they only realized that these apps are much more secure than the web browsers they are so fond of . My parents are like this; they refuse to run folding...despite by best efforts they don't believe it is 'safe' to run any DC app.

Anyway, to answer your question... i just point them to documentation online and tell them they could make a real difference in the world (with F@H anyway )

unfortunately the ppl I have talked into crunching have either decided to crunch on their own or join another team (or start their own team)

Comment

If you have an individual who is into computers, you can mention a DC program to "test" the performance of their rig and also TTF for info on tweaking, etc. :devil win

If you run into someone who is into science, you can mention your favorite DC program as a way to "contribute" to science. :devil:

I usually just mention SETI@home as a matter of "something I'm doing/working on at the moment." Or that I'm participating on something called Distributed Computing.

Oh yeah, I have this in my email sig: Join SETI@home: http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/s...am_101812.html

Most of the time it falls on deaf ears. The only "participation" I've enlisted is the contribution of an old 300 mhz PII for crunching. It can be rewarding to at least open peoples eyes to the concept of DC. It's best to let others make up their own minds as to whether they'll participate or not. Just like around here. :wave:
      :-(

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
        unfortunately the ppl I have talked into crunching have either decided to crunch on their own or join another team (or start their own team)
        You didnt want them to crunch for you, did you?
        It would be nice if they were part of our team, but if they dont visit our forums, what do you expect?

BTW Elrado thats a good point. Depending on who you are talking to, different approaches work.
        But where does the idea of not being secure come from?

PS. I updated my SETI setup page to include SETIQueue and SetiasService. so if you want update yours too. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kane2g
          But where does the idea of not being secure come from?
          hell if I know, but it seems to be a common fear :shrug:

Comment

hell if I know, but it seems to be a common fear
            I agree my family and friends think i'm a bit on the dark side:shrug: i still managed to get my son to run Seti for me but I have to keep checking its up and running.ME DARK

Comment

I just let my sig do all the talkin'. :devil win

Comment

Working...
              X