slow HDD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slow HDD

I have a newly built system and having really low scores on Sandra 2002 with my Western Dig 100gb 8mb cache hard drive. Changed the cables a few times with no performance improvement. The speed doesn't even reach the 66ATA performance measure.

Does anyone have any ideas for getting the most of this supposedly fast hard drive.

Have you used the Ultra ATA Manger tool within WD's Data Lifeguard Tools?
    If not, that is the software utility to enable ATA 33/66/100.
    You can get the Data Lifeguard Tools at http://support.wdc.com/download/
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Since I'm running WinXP, I wasn't sure if the Lifegaurd tools would work. Do you know if they will?

Comment

What other hardware do you have Oscar? If you tell us it might be able to help us find the cause of the problem :)
        What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

I understand your question, on the Western Digital site it does not say that Data Lifeguard Tools works with XP.

However the setting of the ATA transfer rate happens within the HDD itself, without loading the OS.
          I have never tried it with XP, but I truly believe that you would be quite safe, as the utility is run from a floppy at boot-up.

You will need to DL the DLG executable, and place a blank formatted floppy in the floppy drive. This will copy the neccesary files to the floppy disk.

Shut down the computer, and place the floppy in the drive, and power up. The utility will start up (provided your boot up order is A:/CDROM/C: or similar) use the tool to verify your ATA transfer rate is correctly set to 66 - Also you will require the appropriate 80-conductor IDE cable.
          Once you have it set correctly, you will have to reboot your system to affect the change.
          Then remove the disk, and you should be good to go.

I am assuming that XP is not listed in regards to the Western Digital reporting tool that is available at the time you download the Data Lifeguard Tools. Can't remember what it's called ATM, but I've never used it as I don't like any excessive stuff starting when my sytem boots up anyway.

I hate to make you a guinea pig, but I think you'll be fine, as long as you don't install the Data Lifeguard Lifeline (yeah, that's what it's called LOL)

Of course for your purposes, you can just download the Ultra ATA Manager alone, instead of the whole package. Just unzip to a floppy, and use as directed above.

Best of luck to you:thumb:

Does XP have DOS? 'Cause without it I guess The Datalifeguard would be useless wouldn't it.
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Hmm, here's an afterthought.
            If you have an older ATA 33 drive on the same IDE channel as the newer drive, it will effect the entire channel, and slow down the reading of your newer drive to ATA 33 as well.
            If that is the case, the Lifeguard Tools won't be any help, you would have to move tho older drive to a different IDE channel, or remove it.
            A rather unfortunate situation in computer architecture:thumbs do

Comment

Looks toward the basics first... Are you using ATA100 cable? Are your jumpers set correctly?

Comment

Working...
              X