PDA

View Full Version : Are these ads part of Tweaktown now?

PersianImmortal
09-14-2003, 06:49 PM
See the picture below. Are these green underlined popup (and somewhat annoying) ads part of Tweaktown, or have I got some sort of spyware?

I've completely (and manually) deleted the contents of my Temporary Internet Files folder, run Adaware and removed all spyware as usual, run The Cleaner to make sure no Trojans are doing this, check my Certificates to make sure I didn't install this by accident (which I'm sure I didn't).

So my question is do others see this, is it part of Tweaktown and how can I get rid of it?

Wiggo
09-14-2003, 07:09 PM
Well they're bein' generated out of the links on that page. :?:

PersianImmortal
09-14-2003, 07:14 PM
I don't get what you mean Wiggo. When you read an article on Tweaktown do you see the same green underlined keywords and yellow popups?

As I said, I've deleted everything in my temp internet folder and check for any program files which have installed without my knowledge, but there are none. Everything I've found is legitimate so far, even using Regedit and Regcleaner to search my registry.

I know the popups come from the green links, but I'm wondering if the green links are meant to be there. They are obviously part of some form of advertising...but has Tweaktown officially taken them up?

Wiggo
09-14-2003, 07:24 PM
Yep I see the same but I only get those pop-ups when the cursor hovers over those links though what the go with them is I have no idea. :shrug:

PersianImmortal
09-14-2003, 07:55 PM
OK good...I thought I had some sort of spyware infection. If the green links are meant to be there then that's a bit of a relief. I understand that the yellow popups only come up when you go over a green llink, I was wondering if the links themselves were the spyware.

I personally think they're pretty bad. Maybe worth reconsidering? If you look at the example in the pic above, the words "16 bit color" and "32 bit color" are underlined (from page 4 of my UT2003 guide). The average user would think if they clicked on them they'd get technical definitions of some kind. If you do click on them though one leads to a page selling some wacky PCI card I've never heard of and the other leads to a page selling scanners - neither of which have anything to do with the words, and are misleading at best.

Words like "bug fixes" are underlined, but if you click the link it takes you to a page with links to spamming tools or somesuch.

Basically I strongly dislike this form of advertising :grr: - that's why I thought only spyware would install something this bad. They're misleading and annoying to have in our guides and articles.

Hope they are reconsidered and removed. In comparison simple popup ads and banner ads would be MUCH better.

Mr.Tweak
09-14-2003, 08:31 PM
Yes, this is a new form of advertising we are testing out. We have a limit of no more than 5 links per page.

PersianImmortal
09-14-2003, 10:36 PM
Is there any way of telling the advertisers to pick more targetted keywords? I mean if the word "9800 Pro" was underlined for example, and when you click on it it took you to a page with 9800 Pro models and prices, that would actually be relevant and useful.

At the moment the word choices (like 32-bit color as I pointed out above) are very strange and the links are completely irrelevant in some cases.

When I was reading your Aquamark article Cam I thought you'd inserted those links. The fact that I, someone who has been on TT for a while, couldn't tell if it was spyware, or inserted by the author - and was confused about the irrelevance of the links and annoying popup text which would get in my way every time i moved the mouse anywhere near them - that's not a good sign.

Anyway just providing my opinion on them and hopefully they can be refined or removed for something else....

minibubba
09-15-2003, 01:37 AM
it appears I've discovered another bonus to using Firebird. I don't see those ad links at all, no sign of them what-so-ever. Maybe it has something to do with it's built-in pop-up blocking, I dunno...
I've got no problems with TT using ads to keep itself going, but if I could see those ads I would probably find it very annoying as well. :2cents:

amd_man2005
09-15-2003, 07:01 AM
I also get none of that pop-up tags or anything. :clap: to mozilla

Darthtanion
09-15-2003, 07:43 AM
Ummm... where are these ads? I've not seen one and the front page, articles and guides are normal for me as well.

Mr.Tweak
09-15-2003, 07:46 AM
For one, nothing is blocking the ads. They only work in IE 5.5 and higher.

G Smith
09-15-2003, 08:50 AM
Yep, the ads appear as context help information on IE only.

I see them in IE but see nothing with Netscape....

PersianImmortal
09-15-2003, 09:03 AM
I never considered switching from IE to another browser before, but hmmmm.......

Darthtanion
09-15-2003, 09:19 AM
I must be missing something then as I have WinXP Pro w/ SP1 installed using IE6. I'm not seeing anything like ya'll are describing.

Beefy
09-15-2003, 09:36 AM
I saw it in the Aquamark thingy, and that was it.. IE 6 / SP1...

Wiggo
09-15-2003, 10:12 AM
Yeah mine's XP Pro SP1 w/ I.E. 6 SP1 and they're seen but maybe Darth has some different security settings that lock them out. :?:

PersianImmortal
09-15-2003, 10:55 AM
I've got WinXP (SP1) + all updates, IE6 with Medium Security and Medium High Privacy settings and they show up in the articles/guides on TT as well as on sites like Techspot too.

What's your settings Darth? Help me beat this thing!

Darthtanion
09-15-2003, 11:48 AM
I use custom settings, but I don't think that they are anything special. Here is a complete listing:

ActiveX
Prompt
Disable
Disable
Enable
Enable
Downloads
Enable
Enable
Microsoft VM
High Safety
Misc
Disable
Enable
Prompt
Disable
Enable
Prompt
Prompt
Enable
Medium Safety
Enable
Enable
Scripting
Enable
Enable
Enable
Authentication
Auto logon only on Intranet zone

I also use both NIS firewall and a router/switch with a firewall in there as well. Don't know if this will be why I don't get the blurbs, but I just double checked and didn't see them.

minibubba
09-15-2003, 11:50 AM
I've got WinXP (SP1) + all updates, IE6 with Medium Security and Medium High Privacy settings and they show up in the articles/guides on TT as well as on sites like Techspot too.

What's your settings Darth? Help me beat this thing! you could just do what I've been doing ;) ...useing a new browser might suprise you

:cheers:

PersianImmortal
09-15-2003, 11:57 AM
Darth I just compared all my settings and they are identical to yours. I think your firewall is blocking the ads. I don't use a firewall (yes, I know, I'm risking my very life... :p ). I've never had a problem with any other form of advertising, trojan, virus etc. due to regular patching/scanning, but these ads are just too annoying.

I'll look into another browser and play around with IE and security some more. :hammer:

PersianImmortal
09-19-2003, 12:25 PM
In the end I installed Popupcop and disabled scripts and it gets rid of that mess.

On a side note when scripts are disabled the Tweaktown front page (as well as 3DGPU) load up much, much faster. Not to mention the fact that before I'd have to click the refresh button several times to get Tweaktown to come up at all - now it pops up in a second the first time.

Advertisers should really look at cleaning up the scripts and also the keywords used in this particular form of advertising as it is currently unsatisfactory for this particular user.

Wordbiker
09-27-2003, 05:36 AM
Glad I found this thread! :D I thought the same thing....that I'd picked up some spyware. It doesn't bother me now that I know....easy enough to ignore. :devil:

minibubba
10-31-2003, 04:58 AM
I finally saw those ads today. I had some spare time during class and the only borwser available was IE, with no ad/pop-up blocking what-so-ever. I just got to say that it was bloody annoying. Maybe I've just been spoiled by firebird, but I would be much more choosy about with articles I read if I had to deal with those ads all the time. I've obviously got no problems with TT using ads, but I just think these are too frustrating for anyone that hasn't taken precautions. :2cents:

Divine_Madcat
10-31-2003, 06:09 AM
For the love of god, please get rid of them... TT is a great site, but i cannot STAND being FORCED to read advertisements. These are some of the most annoying you can get, since here at least, you cant turn them off.

Sorry TT, i loved thee, but, alas...

Mr.Tweak
10-31-2003, 09:30 AM
We will continue to run these ads on TweakTown - they will always be locked to one display per day, per person.

How many TV ads do you all see per day on average? Probably at least one hundred. Free-to-air TV programs have the same concept as free to access websites such as TweakTown. Since we do not charge a fee to access the website, we must make money to survive through advertising.

These ads will become common place within months. It might be time to begin to accept them.

Mr.Tweak
10-31-2003, 09:33 AM
By the way, I was talking about the stream ads. But the same applies for text ads.

amd_man2005
10-31-2003, 10:39 AM
Thank goodness for Mozilla

Divine_Madcat
11-01-2003, 01:11 AM
In no way are TV ads the same thing. You can mute them, change the channel, etc. You have the right (and ability) to avoid them if you wish.

These ads, the bloody annoying text window ads, have none of that. I cant make them go away (yet), i cant escape them (yet).
No offence, but i hope some software is made VERY soon that blocks all those ads.. just like pop-ups...

minibubba
11-01-2003, 01:24 AM
No offence, but i hope some software is made VERY soon that blocks all those ads.. just like pop-ups... try the firebird browser, i never see them unless I have to use IE for some reason