time for nVidia to face reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• time for nVidia to face reality

First off, thanks for taking the time to do such a great job with those benchmarks. Looks like nVidia will have some adjustments to make ;)

While reading through the article though, something occoured to me. You kept saying throughout the article that nVidia still hadn't optimized for AquaMark yet. Well, to me that sounds like cheating. Do the respective companies change their drivers for each video game that comes out? Isn't the point of these benchmarks to show us how the card will do in a gaming situation? Who cares wether or not my card does well with a benchmark? I want it to do well with my video games. Wouldn't it then be more pertinant to test these cards using something that they haven't had time to prepare for (aka Aquamark)? Or just using a video game? I can appreciate the fact that this benchmark test will allow you to take screenshots at exactly the same frame with exactly the same information on the screen, but if the card is optimized for the benchmark, is it also benchmarked for my video games?

Bottom Line:Can you do as thorough a review of both cards using a video game like Battlefield: 1942 or even Aquanox 2, which would give us more tangible and useable results?

Again, great job! I am adding this site to my fav's list after this post.
    : peace:

...would it be possible to include some older cards when you do your benchmarks? I know I don't have a $300 card, and I would guess that most other gamers don't either. I am not saying to go really far back, but maybe just as far back as one generation or so, like the ti series or the 9600 cards. This would really help me determine how well an affordable card does with todays cutting edge graphics.

Comment

This is what you as well as a lot of other people are asking and thinking at the moment. What is the different between legit optimisation and cheating?

As far as I am concerned, if any company optimises a certain benchmark it should have to result in increased performance on other games based on the same tech as the benchmark - such as OpenGL or DX. Not just the benchmark itself to help them improve sales.

And this is usually the case, as most benchmarks are designed to measure the performance of current and future games. If it did not, it would not serve as a very good benchmark for gamers, would it?

Well that's my take.
      Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
      Managing Director
      Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

As long as it does carry over to similar engines, and not base itself on the name of the file being run (namely the quake/quack problem for ATi and 3DMark/3DMurk for nVidia).

Comment

Originally posted by SlikWili
          Bottom Line:Can you do as thorough a review of both cards using a video game like Battlefield: 1942 or even Aquanox 2, which would give us more tangible and useable results?
          There are several reasons why this wasn't done in this article. The main purpose of the article in my opinion was to firstly show what Aquamark is and how it works, but more importantly it was to demonstrate the kind of performance cards from ATI and Nvidia have in DirectX9.0 games. Since most games from this point onward will use the new technological features of DirectX9, Aquamark is an attempt to simulate gaming performance under DX9.

Therefore games like BF1942, UT2003 etc. are not appropriate in the context of this article since they are not really using many (if any) DX9 features, and represent DX8 games which are pretty much in our past. Also note there have already been many reviews here and on other sites using the built in benchmark of games like UT2003 to compare performance, even up until the last few weeks, so do a search through our articles and you'll find the comparative benchmarks you need :)

Now the focus has shifted to seeing how modern graphics cards can handle the games of the future like Half Life 2, Halo, Doom3 etc. and you'll find more and more articles concentrating on DX9 performance with these games, especially when the Half Life 2 Benchmark arrives at the end of September.

In the meanwhile glad to have you on board at TT, and make sure you check out TTGamer, Tweaktown's gaming site :)
          My Machine

Comment

...would it be possible to include some older cards when you do your benchmarks? I know I don't have a 0 card, and I would guess that most other gamers don't either. I am not saying to go really far back, but maybe just as far back as one generation or so, like the ti series or the 9600 cards. This would really help me determine how well an affordable card does with todays cutting edge graphics.
            I strongly agree, only a small percentage of gamers can afford the higher end cards. Could you not take a poll on this to find out what everyone is using or what the majority is using and write the articles accordingly. A article about hardware is not much use if only a handfull of people have the hardware. Unless it was just for pure info and nothing more. Just a thought. :shrug:

Comment

While reading through the article though, something occoured to me. You kept saying throughout the article that nVidia still hadn't optimized for AquaMark yet. Well, to me that sounds like cheating. Do the respective companies change their drivers for each video game that comes out?
              Yes they do. Do you call that cheating too? :rolleyes2

Comment

Working...
              X