PDA

View Full Version : Possible southbridge problem on Soltek

Shadowman
09-17-2003, 09:50 AM
Problem:

About 2 days ago after installing Tomb Raider AOD. I noticed that the sound was high pitched and garbled( I use the onboard AC97 codec for the Solteck SL75FRN2 - RL board) also my onboard network was playing up, ie: timeing out on network transfers over 100mb.

so I decided to install a fresh and reset the bios and the reset the configuration within the bios hopeing that it would reset all the IRQ's as I thought that the mcp controller might have gone mad..(heat?)

upon doing so I installed a fresh then proceded to install the NFORCE2 drivers think they where 2.03 and when it came to install teh audio it just skipped right past it.

once rebooted I noticed that the Xp boot screen loader ani was all pixalated and different colours. then when I could get to desktop it had gone to 640x 480 and like 8 bit colors.

moving the mouse produced arrows all over the desktop as they trailed each othere distorting whatever it went over>

I then uninstalled teh NFORCE drivers and all was normal

sorry for the long post but I felt all information was valid and needed

is my SOLTEK boards mcp chip fried?

Shadowman
09-17-2003, 09:51 AM
Update:

upon folowing instructions from this thread http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=228760#228760

Same problem as before nothing changed.....

I went through the steps

1. remove all nvidia drivers (mobo & video card)
2. install 2.45 remix from mwarhead + realtek sound drivers + detonators (try the 45.23 or 44.03)

Still had the corruption I was able to create a restore point and boot into safe mode because I couldnt boot into windows as after the boot splash, the screen went blank and the monitor light just sat there blinking for 5 mins. So I restored the point back to when I hadnt installed the Mwarhead's 2.45 remix

The corrupt display happens whilst installing the Mwarhead's 2.45 remix and or the NFORCE2 2.03 drivers.

what is happining here?

I have managed to get sound and lan by installing a sb live card and another nick ( these wernt in the system when said problems occoured) I guess its time to get the RMA?

Any help guys....

Shadowman
09-17-2003, 05:01 PM
ok it apears I have fixed it..

I striped everything from my case and cleaned every fan and hs then reasembled the whole system then booted up installed the 2.45 remix from mwarhead and all is well...

:clap:

Wiggo
09-17-2003, 06:36 PM
I make it a point to fully clean out my systems every 8 weeks or so as dust will do strange things to PC's and in extreme cases kill them. :beer: