X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P4S333 mobo and OS/2

I bought a new P4S333 mobo this weekend, along with a P4 1.7
    processor and 256 meg of ddr 33 memory. After installing Mobo
    in existing case (ATX) and current hard drives from previous mobo, I find that I cannot boot OS/2 or any other operating system except DOS.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas on this problem.

Tried Win 95 as well, no go....

Silly question, but I'll ask it anyway...

Did you format the current hard drive and try to install your choice of OS fresh?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Also what was the previous system in that ATX case? :?:

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
        Silly question, but I'll ask it anyway...

Did you format the current hard drive and try to install your choice of OS fresh?
        No, was holding that as a very last resort.
        tHANKS

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
          Also what was the previous system in that ATX case? :?:
          Several versions of OS/2, Win95, BeOS and RedHat 7.2 along with a PC DOS Partition.

Thanks for the response.

Comment

Ummm...... I meant hardware wise but you do have to reinstall the operating system when do major surgery like that. :smokin:

Comment

previous system was GiGaByte 7x1e (?) mobo with slot A athlon.
              3 ide drives, 2scsi cd's (1 rw) um, 256 meg of ram, Matrox Millenium 200 AGP video card, LINKSYS LNE100TX nic.... been in place for a while... never had to reinstall OS/2 before...realize that does not mean I won't have to....

Comment

So have you got the 2nd power conection to the motherboard fitted? :?:

Comment

Since you state that the system will boot to DOS, you'll want to go ahead and enter the BIOS, choose CD-ROM as your first boot device, and then reinstall the operating system. The only way that you can move a hard drive from one system to another is if the chipset on the board is identical... and then it's still not a guarantee. Different chipsets comminicate with the OS in a different manner. Your current install of OS/2 has no earthly idea how to talk with the components on your new setup. And to make matters worse, it's looking for a slotted Athlon processor and not the socketed P4 that is currently residing in your new toy.

Sorry, but there isn't any way to just add the old hard drive and go. If you still have the other components, you can try to boot up from there and save off any important data.

Good luck.
                  My Toys

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wiggo
                    [B]So have you got the 2nd power conection to the motherboard fitted? :?:

You will no doubt be happy to know that I have resolved the problem. It was in fact the NIC card that caused the problem. I removed the NIC card and rem'ed out the statement in the config.sys that loaded the driver and the machine bootedbooted just fine. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Does OS/2 work off a DOS background then?
                      My Toys

Comment

Working...
                      X