Compounds and adhesives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compounds and adhesives

I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between thermal compounds and thermal adhesives. Which one's better? What's the best one to use?

A thermal compound is nothing more than an interface material that helps conduct heat while the heatsink dissipates it. A thermal adhesive is exactly that... a substance that keeps an active or passive cooling device firmly in place without having to resort to clipping mechanisms.

As to which is better, that depends on your needs. If you're talking about a heatsink for your processor, then a compound is the best bet. If you're wanting to add some RAM Sinks to the memory modules on your video card, then an adhesive (or epoxy) is the best item to use.

Best? That is always debatable, but Arctic Silver is currently king of the hill as far as popularity and effectiveness. You can also check into the Nanotherm line since it is very effective and costs less than the silver stuff.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Bustout
      I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between thermal compounds and thermal adhesives. Which one's better? What's the best one to use?
      Compound , even the cheap stuff will be a better thermal conductor
      than Epoxy. Epoxy is ok when you need sticking power. Use the thinest coat possible. Be sure you want whatever there permanetly as it is nearly impossible to remove safely

Comment

I want to attach some ram sinks on my ram of the vidcard but is it possible to glue the corners or something because i cant get adhesive or epoxy in the netherlands?

Comment

Well before the new adhesives and epoxy's came out alot use to use normal HS grease leaving just the corners bare so that superglue could be put in those corners to attach the heatsinks. ;)

Comment

Thank you all. I realy appreciate all your help! :cheers:

Comment

So superglue will be fine?

Comment

So it seems as it was the only thing to use before these new expoxys came along. :smokin:

Comment

I used superglue to put on ramsinks on my Radeon 8500 and it has been working great. I used some Arctic Silver 2 under most of the sinks and just put a tiny drop of glue on each end. it has been working great for me and I would recommend it to anyone that doesn't want to wait 4weeks for stupid epoxy. How can CompUsa and Microcenter call themselves Computer Superstores if they don't carry anything that remotely resembles epoxy.

Comment

Working...
                  X