Who's faster, Intel or AMD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's faster, Intel or AMD?

Here's an interesting read of a review at HEXUS.net, as posted on the SETI@home home page.

"News — Septmber 23, 2003 — Who's faster, Intel or AMD? Benchmarks of SETI@home on various current CPU chips are here."
    :-(

well done amd :thumb:

Comment

quote:
      "Loading the work unit into cache is a tremendous help to overall performance"

Then I wonder how the Intel EE would run seti.. :eek:

Comment

From Tom's Hardware: The Intel v. AMD Performance War: You Lose. A column some may find interesting.

"Is the enthusiast community being taken for a ride in this latest round of the CPU wars? Does AMD want enthusiasts to give it an interest free loan while they wait for 64-bit computing to go mainstream? Has Intel lost the PR battle before it has begun? Only a few hours remain before the launch of the Athlon 64 and the P4 EE, and we're wondering whether we got here for the right reasons. "

Comment

When I saw the post I thought this would be a flaming war from the word go, but those are some nice links you provided:thumb:

Comment

Mmm. I assumed Hexus was using Intel's EE Pentium. But they didn't. That explains the gap between the FX en P4

Comment

Originally posted by The__tweaker
              Then I wonder how the Intel EE would run seti..
              Can't wait to find out either. The L2/3 cashe definitely won't be a hindrance. The difference will come in their math processing capabilities.

Originally posted by Nosferatu
              [B]Mmm. I assumed Hexus was using Intel's EE Pentium. But they didn't. That explains the gap between the FX en P4
              I'm sure they didn't have a sample in their hot little hands, otherwise they would have.

Comment

Ya's may like to check this review out then which this chart comes from.

Comment

Thanks Wiggo. I've been wading through that review, but had not gotten to that chart yet. Looks like there is something there for both factions. Realistically, however, I think Intel has clinched the title in this arena.

Comment

Well while I was in Sydney I went to the PC Markets there and grabbed a 2.4C and ASUS P4P800Deluxe just to see if I could do better than the 2hr av. the XP2600+ @ 2.26GHz turns in but also it should be the 1st PC put together in the new PC workshop (I hope it does a hell of a lot better than the 2.4B did and I don't get it online b4 the workshop).

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                      ...grabbed a 2.4C and ASUS P4P800Deluxe just to see if I could do better than the 2hr av. the XP2600+ @ 2.26GHz turns in...
                      It should do a little better, especially w/ a mild OC. By the chart, the 2.4C comes in at about 10 minutes faster, although with your setup, you've shaved off 36 minutes from the standard XP 2600+ time. That sounds like a lot with only a .13 GHz increase. If only the 2.4C would respond as well. Hope you can get it together soon. :)

Comment

Well the 2.4B did let me down some what badly a while back but I'm willin' to give 2.4C ago and see what happens. :D

Comment

Working...
                        X