MS IntelliMouse shuts down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS IntelliMouse shuts down?

Last edited by Dragania; 11-22-2004, 12:21 PM.

Start with the obvious. Is your battery in the transmitter new, and inserted with clean contacts? Then try changing channels with the little black button on the underside of the mouse; to the right of the laser. If that doesn't work, delete the mouse in hardware manager, reinstall the software from the CD or download. The problem that I had with mine was that it would unexpectedly switch channels on the receiver, and the mouse would freeze. I could sometimes get it to re-scan by pressing the curved button on top of the receiver. Un-plugging the USB would force the receiver to reinitialize and re-scan for an active channel and it would be ok for a while.

Comment

Last edited by Dragania; 11-22-2004, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Sorry, lapsed into 'jargonese'.

The mouse is actually a radio transmitter with a range of about 3 feet. It can switch broadcast chanels, like a remote or a cordless telephone. The oval receiver has a cord connected to the USB port. Overall, what the cordless mouse does is connect the signal by a wireless radio link which acts like an extension cord.

Sometimes, the wireless link gets 'off channel' so you need to re-tune it back onto the right one. Windows does this when you attach a USB device (in this example, a cordless mouse). Windows 'reconfigures' itself by adding the detected device. This is done by small programs that run automatically within the Windows system. What I suggested earlier was to go into the Control Panel; select System; then select Device Manager from the system tabs; then choose mouse or pointing devices from within the USB devices (or find any 6-year-old geek to show you). :laugh:

What you want to accomplish is to have only ONE mouse driver program controlling the mouse. And, only ONE active mouse that windows knows about. Then, you know if your mouse has broken electronics if it still doesn't work correctly. Another troubleshooting technique is to put the mouse onto a different computer that knows what a wireless USB mouse is. If it works there, then Windows mouse driver program is corrupt. Good hunting.

Comment

Working...
        X