download accelerators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• download accelerators

Do they actualy work? Ive been monitoring my downloads lately with DU Meter, and it seems that my full bandwidth is used when i am either Downloading or Uploading by themselves. When there is downloading/uploading at the same time, then the bandwith gets cut in half. Do the Download accelerators fix this? Ive been thinking of using one but im not sure what one to use or if they even do anything at all.

Any thoughts?

You can try something like fresh download but i doubt that it will do something for you!

Comment

i use it cause i like the fact that i can resume my download if my commpter crashes or i have to stop it. also, they let u chose the fastest URL server site to download the file.

Comment

smokin_pc
        i see that you have Linux install available. if you need these d/l managers just to resume the broken d/l's then why don't you give wget a try? its an excellect tool available on almost every Linux box. once you use wget, i highly doubt that you will use any other d/l manager.

imo Download Accelerator is a misnomer. they should be called as Download Managers. i have heardly seen any Download Manager actually accelerating the downloads. if i m wrong pls correct me :)
        Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
        Last Updated:
        10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
        ======================
        jabber : [email protected]
        =======================
        Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
        yabaa dabaa doo...
        Customized for 1024x768

Comment

no matter what you are limited by bandwidth. No d/l "accelerator"
          can change this. the only good thing about them has already been stated. you can usually start back up where your d/load left off.

Comment

Well is there any program that can regulate the amount of data sent through the lines?

When im downloading, i usually get maximum usage of the lines, but it seems like when i am downloading from others, and others are downloading from me, the total data sent and recieved is minimized greatly.

Is there any way to regulate this? And do the download "accelerators" manage downloads and uploads from other programs?

Comment

lets use this example

with optimal bandwidth 100mbs just downloading alone
              you can get 100mbs.

if you are downloading @ 100mbs and then someone with optimal bandwidth of 100mbs starts downloading from you at the same time you can cut your bandwidth in half.

example.. you are using 50mbs for downloading and 50mbs uploading. therefore you are still using 100mbs of bandwidth.

if you are refering to a p2p application then you can set the uploading bandwidth to a predetermined setting.

example.. use max bandwidth for download and set upload to the lowest possible setting. ie 100mbs download --- 8mbs upload... or whatever the program lets you use.

you can also set the limit of allowed uploads to the minimum number allowed (usually 1)

i give you this information guessing that you are using a p2p program that is commonly available for LEGAL file transfer.

remember that ILLEGAL file transfers of copywrited material is not what the software is for.

Comment

Working...
              X