Power supply ratings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power supply ratings

how many amps does a 500 watt power supply draw?

is that on the label or is what's on the label what it provides?

115V,230V,10A,6A,60/50Hz

is on the 1st line, but since there's 2 A ratings, which is what?

the field(s) for output all show various amp ratings,

+5 40A
    +12 16A
    -5 .3A
    -12 .8A
    +3.3 30A
    +5VSB 2A

those total up to far more than the circuit this pc is on!:wow:

so how much is it drawing/using at any one time out of the wall?

:shrug:

115V,230V,10A,6A means 10 amps on 115 volts or 6 amps on 230 volts, and this is max, because of the losses going from AC115v to DC12 volts ant the other ones!

Comment

Watts = Volts X Amps (AC or DC)

115 VAC X 10Amp = 1150 watts or 220 VAC X 6Amp = 1320 watts

Switching power supplies are only 65 to 75 % efficient so

1150 watts X 68% (typical efficiency rating) = 782 watts of available DC power at max 10A load at the wall.

500 watts (your PSU rating) / 115 VAC = 4.34 amp draw if all the Dc rails are max rating loaded.

Remember this is at max load ! And if you get that high I can assure you that it will cook the supply. In other words do not expect these type supplies to ever draw a full 10 amps from the wall unless it is severely over driven.

If you take the 3.3VDC X 25amps (or whatever your supply says) = 82.5 watts and continue to add all the wattages for each of the rails you will come up with the total rating for the supply

Cheaper supplies cheat on these ratings and the heavier more expensive PSU usually are slightly under rated

Comment

ok, so essentially, i am not drawing more than about 3.3 - 3.7 amp at any one time

6 harddrives, dvd, cdrw, floppy, 4 LED case fans, chipset fan, cpu fan (needs replacing - and ideas of a good one?), amdxp2600, and 4 CCD lights in this case

:bounce:

Comment

sorry off topic but just out of interest how mutch storage have u actully got with thoes 6 drives are they in raid form?

Comment

no raid, all are at about 95% or more full

i know, i should be burning some stuff off, but i do run an ftp server and some of the stuff there cant' be found anywhere else

Comment

Originally posted by ct_
              cpu fan (needs replacing - and ideas of a good one?), amdxp2600,
              that depends on whether or not you want to replace the heatsink too. If not, then tell us what you are currently using. If you do want to replace the whole thing, then I'd recomend the thermaltake silent boost. It's very quite (rated @ 21 dBA) and does a decent job cooling (my OC 2100+ palamino never gets above 40 C with this HSF)

Comment

Working...
              X