PDA

View Full Version : ISP's

South Oz
10-10-2003, 10:20 PM
Are any Australian ISP's "Linux friendly"?

asklepios
10-11-2003, 12:14 AM
what do you mean by being "Linux Friendly"? :confused:

minibubba
10-11-2003, 03:04 AM
the internet is the internet, it works with everything. Just make sure your ISP of choice doesn't 'require' any special software to connect (i.e. AOL :thumbs do )

South Oz
10-11-2003, 04:41 PM
the internet is the internet, it works with everything. Just make sure your ISP of choice doesn't 'require' any special software to connect (i.e. AOL :thumbs do )

I'm currently with AOL, don't laugh,( well you can laugh if you like) and that's why I asked. Please excuse my ignorance on this. Would any other ISP go okay with Linux?

minibubba
10-11-2003, 04:57 PM
yes, any normal isp should be fine

but apparently you can even use aol on liunx, according to this guide (http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialAOL.html) (but the software they use hasn't been updated in a year). You would probably be much better off with some other ISP ;)

asklepios
10-11-2003, 06:28 PM
don't worry whether the software has been updated or not.
i don't think that AOL might have changed the protocol they use. so whether the software has been updated or not will not be a problem till AOL changes its protocol. the software I use on Linux to connect to my ISP was updated in like 2000 and it still works. do give that guide a try :D

South Oz
10-12-2003, 05:55 PM
OR, i could move ISP's!
Thanx for the info though. I did read that guide, quite interesting.