USB stoped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB stoped working

ok guys, i've got a rather pressing problem. My usb seems to have stopped working all together. It's working one minute, reboot and it stops working the next. It's not a software problem, since it doesn't work in either winxp or linux. I havn't got a clue why it would suddenly stop, pratically disappear. My usb controlers do show up under Device Manager, so I know something is working. I can add more detail later if nessesary, but I must get a few hrs sleep before class.

*note: 3 times now, my PC has frozen while rebooting. It happens after windows exits, with blank screen, before actaul rebot. My USB stoped working after the 2nd bad reboot.

is your computer overclocked?
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
      *note: 3 times now, my PC has frozen while rebooting. It happens after windows exits, with blank screen, before actaul rebot.
      wat abt the System Event Viewer? something must have been logeed for such a thing.
      Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
      Last Updated:
      10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
      ======================
      jabber : [email protected]
      =======================
      Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
      yabaa dabaa doo...
      Customized for 1024x768

Comment

it's not OC, been stock for a few months now. nothing in sys. events either, that was the 1st thing I checked.

another note, on my first boot into linux after this, there was a blue sceen that flashed during load that said somehting about hardware changes... but I didn't get any details

Comment

well I wish I could have gotten some good help, but I seemed to have figured it out anyway... although I'm not sure how :confused:

I just opened it up, dusted everything off, checked all the connections, and unplugged usb5 & usb6 from the mobo... booted it up and it all worked like nothing had ever happened... except for the disovery of 'new' hardware
          At least it's working now, i just wish I knew what caused this in the first place... it's bugging the hell outa me.

Comment

Ya'd be amazed at how many probs can be fixed with a good clean out (dust can be conductive).

Comment

there wasn't that much dust though, I just cleaned it out a month ago :shrug:

Comment

Well ya must be more unlucky than most then to get some just in the wrong place so soon. :D

Comment

Dude. You need to go into the BIOS and go to advanced perepherals and look for usb somewhere and you need to enable it again. I might if gotten disabled during the reboot.

Comment

Dude. did you miss my post that it is working again and had nothing to do with the bios?

Comment

Dude try dusting ya mouse.. They need a bit of work ya know b4 ya plug it in.. Ya follow..:?:

Comment

dude

Comment

Working...
                        X