X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my computer

my computer has:

athlon 1800xp (1.53Ghz)
    512 SDRAM (64 SDRAM shared for video, so really 448 RAM)
    80GB WD HD
    ECS k7sem mobo
    LG combo drive (16x dvd/ 32x cd)
    on-board video (SiS chipset)
    on-board sound

is the on-board video slowing down my system, if so by how much?:group:

yes the on-board video is slowing your system down...by how much im not sure but it is a fair amount.

what do you do with your system? any pc that has on-board video is ok for business type stuff, very limited in the gaming area.

if you are into gaming, your best bet would be cut your loses and get a new computer. getting a video card that you can put in it wont do too much good either, as your system uses SDRAM, limiting the video card greatly.

Comment

My sdram will affect the video card performance?:grr:

Comment

if u ar going to use a ddr video card, it will be the speed of SDRAM speed. i would get a sdram video card so u can have ur 512mb bak./

Comment

WTF? They don't make cards with SDRAM anymore. They are ALL DDR and DDR2.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulburner
            WTF? They don't make cards with SDRAM anymore. They are ALL DDR and DDR2.
            i think what he means is pick up a old Geforce2 with SDRAM. the problem is you wont be able to play any of the newer games very well.

Comment

Why? I don't see what you're getting at with the whole SDRAM thing.

What does the video cards memory have to do with the price of tea in china? :confused:

Comment

[b]ECS K7SEM Motherboard
                Socket A
                CHIPSET: SIS730S
                MEMORY: TWO 168-PIN SDRAM DIMMS (PC100/PC133) UPTO 1GB
                SLOTS: 2PCI, 1AGP, 1AMR
                AUDIO: AC97 AUDIO CODEC ON BOARD
                LAN: VIA VT6103 ON BOARD
                VIDEO: INTEGRATED ADVANCED 128BIT 2D/3D GRAPHICS ENGINE
                I/O: 2 USB 1.1 PORTS, 1 PARALLEL, 1 SERIAL,
                IDE: ULTRA DMA 33/66/100
                MICRO ATX

Comment

running a DDR based video card, with a SDRAM system ram is not going to be very effective, bottlenecking your system and not getting you anywhere.

trust me i know, my radeon 9000 never started to work to its full potential until i upgraded my motherboard/ram.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoric
                    the problem is you wont be able to play any of the newer games very well.
                    What games are you refering to?
                    Cuz i can play UT and BF1942 just fine with my GF4 440 at high detail. not OC or anything.
                    Unless you need like 200Frames/sec.

Comment

Games play just fine on my system on high settings at 1024 by 768 (Splinter Cell, Jedi Academy, Raven Shield.

Comment

like i said, having a good video card with slow system memory is not going to run well, the video card wont run to its full potential.

if you have DDR memory, with a DDR video card it will run ok. if its SD and DDR its not.

i cant find the thread about my dilemma but ask wiggo he was the one who told me about it.

Comment

this sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

like i said, having a good video card with slow system memory is not going to run well, the video card wont run to its full potential.

if you have DDR memory, with a DDR video card it will run ok. if its SD and DDR its not.

i cant find the thread about my dilemma but ask wiggo he was the one who told me about it.
                            I understand what you;re saying, BUT
                            DDR card will still work better than SDR card in a SDR system.
                            So buy the best card ya can afford.
                            It will help out your vid card performance as well as the overall system.

Comment

What he's refferin' to is the bottleneck that's basically cripplin' ya system caused by the SDRAM as basically the CPU's FSB alone is twice as fast as it (not to mention other DMA requirements) which is why DDR SDRAM has been the standard for sometime now.

Comment

Working...
                              X