Booting Me on XP systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booting Me on XP systems

I need something to show me a choice of windows ME and XP before loading the operating systems. i have an unpartitioned space on which i am going to install windows Me, but, i dont know how am I going to boot into it. i have both Me and xp, but i find that in ME gaming and performance is much more efficient. I love windows XP for work, but i need an additional operating sys (windows Me) because counterstrike is much more fun in Me. I have windows XP Professional and wan't to install Me.

and im NOT a newb tweaker. Man..... tweakfiles waz the greatest

Comment

First off, TweakFiles may be gone, but another site has taken up where they left off. Not quite the same, but a huge amount of downloadable utilities for just about any need. The new site is www.majorgeeks.com

Now... for your dual boot scheme, you'll have to scrap XP and install ME first. That's the only way to get your dual boot to work properly. You install ME on your C:\ partition, and then XP on a separate partition or separate hard drive. XP will keep your ME settings intact, and then you'll have a choice when you power up as to which OS you would like to boot into.

Good luck. :)
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

uhhh.... i dont think that can be done, I have too many large and important files on XP, and there must be some utility to choose what OS to boot. between 2 Partitions. TO load from C or to load from D. I have no doubt that there is such a utility, i just dont know where to find it.

Comment

There were older disk utilities that did what you're seeking (Norton Disk Commander comes to mind), but they were designed to handle older operating systems. With the newer OS's integrating so deeply with your hardware and the motherboard, these type utilities have become pretty much extinct.

Besides, when you try to install the WinME on a separate partition, you will ruin the WinXP install making it unbootable. Been there... done that... and it sucks.

Sorry, but I don't think what you're asking for is a possibility, but if you do find something that works, please let us know. :)
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

How does it ruin XP installation when it is on a seperate partition??

this is what im talking about:

1. format the unpartitioned space as extended dos partition
            2. make it the active partition
            3. Install Me to the C drive (now the formerly unpartitioned space)
            4. Make XP partition the active one
            5. Install booting progtam

Comment

Originally posted by SeCrEtCoMp
              How does it ruin XP installation when it is on a seperate partition??

Any operating system that is based on DOS (which Windows ME is) stomps all over the MBR (Master Boot Record) when installed, other more "advanced" operating systems such as Windows 2000/XP and Linux/UNIX are more careful and allow you to have more control over what can be booted :thumb:
              What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

WHat if I install win. Me, would i be able to to mod. the MBR with a program??

Comment

*sigh* :rolleyes:

Just install Windows ME first, then Windows XP. Don't even consider modifying the MBR.
                  What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

then i'll be left with XP stock, i have to re-install everything, I know there is a program that makes a dual boot but i dont know where I can get it from. I dont feel like doing this as I reformatted 3 weeks ago

Comment

No you will have to format and then just install ME on C: then run the XP setup but during it tell it to install to another partition. It's works trust me as I've got a SE/XP job here, well 2 actually and only the C: partition has to be active as windows will do the rest. ;)
                      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you really should listen to these guys.. they do know what they are talking about. To get a proper working, dual boot system with XP, you've got to install it after the other operating system.

What you could try (don't quote me on this) is to install ME, then reinstall XP over the top of your existing XP install. That way, it should still set up the boot menu for you, and you get to keep all your XP setup. I can't guarantee that it will work, but if you really wanna do it the hard way, then give it a shot.

Comment

beefy...... I think u might have a point..... maybe I install XP over my current XP and it should keep all my programs, it will just overwrite my drivers. BUt i have this program called XOSL check it out. if this program doesnt work ill try beefy'z method, THANKS !!!!!!

Comment

aaargh - i'm always too late on threads like this...its easy done

there are several ways...

the easiest is by far a little util u can find which makes an image of the MBR, u can install me, then restore the MBR.

the other way is to do the ME install - then start a fresh install of XP onto a parallel location, and then when setup does its first reboot, u just pointselect your original xp boot option (not xp setup or wotever it'd say) and then once in windows again - u edit your boot.ini and delete the remnants of the fresh setup.

job done.

Comment

THANKS skull, i have a ques... ill be e-mailin u

Comment

Working...
                              X