need help with bootup.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with bootup.......

ok. this is what i have done....I in stalled 3 os on different partitions on my drive.....first Win98, then WinXP, then Linux Mandrake 9.1...........

all worked just fine....

now I wanted to take off Linux...I deleted my linux partition and the linux swap partition.....changed the partitions to 1 single fat32 partition..... all this worked fine..

Now all I want to do is take away the linux lilo(the linux OS option screen at bootup) and go back to my Windows OS selection screen.......

How do I do this?

Lilo kicks butt. Why you want to get rid of it? U still have the same choices. XP or Win98. :confused:

Comment

Originally posted by kane2g
      Lilo kicks butt. Why you want to get rid of it? U still have the same choices. XP or Win98. :confused:
      because it defaults to linux....and linux is not there....i could leave it and wait and choose win98 or XP, but if i walk away during bootup it defaults to a missing OS(linux) and the i have to reset comp. and wait again......

Comment

boot with your Win98 CD and do
        fdisk /mbr
        this will rewrite your MBR.
        read a bit of warnings http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1
        Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
        Last Updated:
        10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
        ======================
        jabber : [email protected]
        =======================
        Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
        yabaa dabaa doo...
        Customized for 1024x768

Comment

or you could just edit the LILO to boot to your MS OS instead of deleted Linux.:thumb:
          Just a thought

Comment

or you could just edit the LILO to boot to your MS OS instead of deleted Linux.:thumb:
            Just a thought
            k...sounds good to me, but where do I find the lilo program?, and how do I edit it?

Comment

when you start the system, and it gives you the choice to boot from Linux/98/xp
              you should also see option like edit or configuration or something.
              I just blew away my Linux harddrive to install smoothwall. (its contol-x on that bootloader)
              But it is there. thats where you would change all this.
              If you get in there and you cant tell just by looking, write it down and let us help you with it.
              :thumb:

Ahh, Im going to reinstall Linux just so I can find the damn option!!!!!!!!

Comment

when you start the system, and it gives you the choice to boot from Linux/98/xp
                you should also see option like edit or configuration or something.
                I just blew away my Linux harddrive to install smoothwall. (its contol-x on that bootloader)
                But it is there. thats where you would change all this.
                If you get in there and you cant tell just by looking, write it down and let us help you with it.
                :thumb:

Ahh, Im going to reinstall Linux just so I can find the damn option!!!!!!!!
                nope....no option to edit or config.......is there a file on my comp. that i can edit?

Comment

well after loading linux and installing LILO, I get the same contorl-x option to edit it.

There is a file in there somewjere, but its on an ext3 partition which windows doesnt see. :shrug:

Comment

well after loading linux and installing LILO, I get the same contorl-x option to edit it.

There is a file in there somewjere, but its on an ext3 partition which windows doesnt see. :shrug:
                    i have allready deleted all the linux partitions....so there has to be a file in windows somewhere....

Comment

Originally posted by burnmaster
                      [B]i have allready deleted all the linux partitions....so there has to be a file in windows somewhere....
                      Nope, the file your looking for is /etc/lilo.conf, and thats gone to the big bit bucket in the sky now....along with the lilo binary that used to reside in /sbin - you can recover your windows bootloader by using the fdisk/mbr option with a win98 boot floppy or you can boot the winXP disk, go into the recovery console and do "fixmbr", personaly I'd go the XP option as the win98 bootloader probably won't be able to boot XP.
                      p-two.net

Comment

Working...
                      X