How to install another hard drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to install another hard drive?

When I install my other hard drive, I have it on slave. My main is on primary master channel 3. The new one I just want to store **** on. But when I start the computer with the new hard drive(which has windows XP on it) it tries to boot up from it. How can I get my computer just to boot up from the main HD which is SATA and then just recognize the new hard drive?

go into the BIOS and change the boot sequence so that your sata hdd is first and your pata hdd is last or not on the list at all

*it probably wont say 'sata' in the bios so you will have to look for something appropriate

Comment

Originally posted by Darkerick
      When I install my other hard drive, I have it on slave. My main is on primary master channel 3. The new one I just want to store **** on. But when I start the computer with the new hard drive(which has windows XP on it) it tries to boot up from it. How can I get my computer just to boot up from the main HD which is SATA and then just recognize the new hard drive?
      Yes go into ya BIOS and change ya boot sequence but what do ya have that IDE HDD slaved to? :confused:

it would also be good to start ya threads in the right forum as well :rolleyes2

Comment

its not slaved to anything. Its just connecting directly to IDE 1 and the jumpers are on slave. When I go to boot sequence, the only options I have are floppy,cdrom,hard disk, and other io port such as usb, lan,etc.? there is no HDD 1 or 2 or 3.

Comment

Change that IDE HDD then to Master and then in BIOS make ya boot order floppy/CD-ROM/SCSI (SCSI should refer to ya SATA controller).

Comment

there is no scsi. what does that mean?

Comment

What are the exact options that ya do have? :?:

Comment

floppy
                hard disk
                cdrom
                LS120
                zip
                usb-HDD
                usb-cdrom
                usb-fdd

thats it:o

Comment

any suggestions?

Comment

no need to be so impatient.

It's odd that's your only options. Is your sata onboard or a controller card? If I had to guess, I'd say try usb-hdd

Comment

If your computer was booting from SATA fine before, but not since you put the IDE drive in, then take out any booting options that relate to the IDE drive. Set all your boot options to ZIP or something, and see what happens. After going through that initial list, it should try boot from other devices (assuming it has been set in the BIOS) and should work. Otherwise, how would your computer have booted previously?

Comment

I disabled a bunch of crap on the ide 1 controller. The computer detects the SATA hard drive on 'other boot device',now, even when I had hard disk disabled, the computer still booted from that hard drive?

Comment

Working...
                        X