Developing, building, and testing. How do it the best? Learn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developing, building, and testing. How do it the best? Learn

Developing, building, and testing. How do it the best? Learning from the world leader - Microsoft

I'm very interested in how the developing/build/testing workflow @ Microsoft looks like. I think Microsoft as world leader in software developing business must have a very good workflow. Does anyone know how the development flow @ Microsoft looks like?

I'm also interested in the workflow in your company perhaps the workflow in your company better then @ Microsoft? What do you think about test driven development?

Regards,

Gicio

steal the idea now.............settle in court later

Comment

I see in this forum I can't get a professional answer.

regards,

gicio

Comment

in my computing course i have to to a prject designing a program
        the development i am using is Analysis > design > programming > testing > fixing any problems
        i think that if you follow something similar to this you should be able to get a good workflow
        not sure about this tho, there may be a better way

Comment

Which companys are on the CMM levels 3, 4, 5 ??? (http://www.sei.cmu.edu/cmm/)

And which workflow use this companys?

regards,

gicio

Comment

Originally posted by gicio
            I see in this forum I can't get a professional answer.

regards,

gicio
            you certainly can get professional answers here. but this is a public forum and is subject to all sorts of responces from all kinds of people. We try to weed out the bad ones and make it obvious, mainly to new users, who these bad ones are. When you see titles such as "Senior Smacktard" (like you'll see attached to JSR above) it should be a clear indication on how much attention you should give to posts from these users. It's in no way a good indication of the overall professionalism of these forums.

now as for your question, I wont be much help. I'm not a programer by any stretch of the imagination.

Comment

minibubba thanks for the response.

:thumb:

regards,

gicio

Comment

Having agreed with what minibubba has said above, gicio, I would also say that your questions are really quite specific and sometimes technical programming questions.

Not that I don't believe there's plenty of people on these forums who are experienced programmers (I have done some myself), or that we are unable to discuss software development, et cetera, but these forums are pretty much primarily hardware / basic development / basic software hangout.

What I'm trying to say is (without driving you away), perhaps you would get a wider range of more specific answers to your queries in programming-or-ASP-specific forums.

Cheers,

~Osiris

Comment

When Microsoft first started in the software industry they did no testing whats ever. They would just release the software, move three developers to create an aftersales group and let them solve problems which the customers would then provide. This happened with Windows 1.0

This changed as Microsoft needed to get in with IBM. To woo big blue to let it use windows on the computers it produced (which never happened) Microsoft had to change some of its style and working methods - which also meant M's developers had to turn up to parties in suits rather than they usual jeans and t-shirts ;)

What microsoft tend to do is have a futuroligist - Nathan Myhrvold (who studied with Prof Stephen Hawkings in cambridge) dream up some type of technology which will benefit customers in the future and will likely be a yet untapped market by other copmanys. He would send out memos to get developers and Gates intrested. If Gates was intrested by the idea he would usually have a development manager research the idea for a year then recruit several project managers - who would then recruit more developers from either outside or within the corporation. One of the main key's to Microsofts success is having the very best developers on side. Especially in the case of windows which was turned out to be a complete fluke. If it were not for the genius partnership of Murray Sargent and Dave Wiesse windows would have been in the trash can due to the fact Bill Gates had his money on the OS/2 IBM and Microsoft were developing. It just turned out that Sargent and Wiesse ("just for fun") Managed to get windows working in protected mode like IBMs OS/2. Which pissed IBM off just a little bit.

Microsoft will usually have two development teams to cover all areas of an idea. For example they had a team making applications in case low bandwidth technology took off and a team making applications if high bandwidth technology took off.

They ususally get students straight out of college to write the specs for the programs (which main developers hate cause the its pretty impossible for the students to do it) and then the developers will start hacking at the code.

Okay that was just a load of history blab - hope it was intresting.

Heres some links which may help you:

Microsoft Software Development Models Overview

MSF Team Model v. 3.1

Hope they help ta ta Steve W

Comment

Working...
                  X