Longhorn and Mega computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longhorn and Mega computers

[QUOTE]" By the time Longhorn ships, according to Microsoft chairman Bill Gates, PCs will have 4GHz to 6GHz processors, more than 2GB of memory, at least a terabyte of storage, and graphics accelerators three times more powerful than those offered by ATI and Nvidia today. "QUOTE]

I can't wait to have a computer like that. Did you know according to moores law a baby born today will be able (in 70 years time) to store all its experinces i.e visual and audio in the size of a grane of dust.

ta ta Steve W

I think i read once Raymond Kurzweil saying that any human capable of surviving to the year 2080 at any age will probably be capable of also surviving to the year 2180 given current trends in medical technology.

I cant wait for the Singularity. I want to be a part of something that amazing. Maybe thats our purpose. Hopefully it will be a cybernetically controlled world and not just a machine controlled world. These things are scary to talk about.

Comment

Re: Longhorn and Mega computers

Originally posted by Steve(MrScruff)
      " By the time Longhorn ships, according to Microsoft chairman Bill Gates, PCs will have 4GHz to 6GHz processors, more than 2GB of memory, at least a terabyte of storage, and graphics accelerators three times more powerful than those offered by ATI and Nvidia today. "

I can't wait to have a computer like that. Did you know according to moores law a baby born today will be able (in 70 years time) to store all its experinces i.e visual and audio in the size of a grane of dust.

ta ta Steve W
      Heh, looks like this may perhaps be true, aside from the name changing to Vista
      Last edited by Yawgm0th; 01-26-2006, 11:51 PM.

Comment

The 4GHz to 6GHz CPUs part probably won't be true (depending on how much MS, Intel, and AMD change their release dates on certain products), except that modern processors will be equivelent to P4 ranging from 4-6GHz of the time. It's also true if you combine clock speeds of the multiple cores, but that's inaccurate as it's not the same thing.

A TB of storage will be far from the standard (in fact most PCs will still use 80GB drives), but 1TB may be common by the time Vista ships.

The video card part is true, considering that it was said in 2003 when the 9800XT was the most powerful thing around.

Good post to bring up. Normally I'm irritated when someone brings up posts this old, but this was a good one.

Comment

Well, as for the TB of storage, it probly wont be standard, but the avalibilty ( 2 500gb raid 0 ) is still there.

But I would agree with you on the proc speeds

Comment

Working...
          X