crystal orb doesn't fit mb chipset, only VGA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crystal orb doesn't fit mb chipset, only VGA

I wish the reviewers had made it clear that the Crystal Orb is for video cards only. Most mentions of the cooler call it a 'chipset cooler' but it only fits video card chipsets, not motherboard chipsets.

I ordered a COrb for my mother board chipset, but the holes in the motherboard are too far apart to fit the COrb. I was forced to keep using my stock green one (added goop tho).

My mb is an Abit BX133 RAID.

Just thought I'd share my sad little tale.

-dave

Actually the Crystal Orb will fit a lot of motherboards just not all which is where homework comes into play and some modification. Some motherboards due to component positioning won't take a Blue Orb either. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

that is right, I have a COrb on my mobo right now and it works great. You could always extend the brackets with some imagination to make it fit.

Comment

With the BLorb, I had to modify it a bit to fit it on to my Hercules GF2 MX

Comment

Here's how I modified my BLORB to fit on my KT133A nortbridge (soon to be KT333A mwahaha :D). As the BLORB and CORB have the same diameter and mounting mechanism, it's likely to work for the BLORB's younger cousin...

1. Lap blorb with 400, 600, 1200 grit sandpaper (not too fussed about mirror finish as it doesn't have to dissipate much heat on the northbridge).

2. With a nail file or very rough sandpaper wrapped around a sharp, thin object (like a knife, for example), file away at the edges of the CORB mounting hole until it is no longer a hole, but a wide gap like this crude ASCII pic (one day i'll get a digicam, until then...):

[code:1:25803d2211]
          \______ _______/ you're aiming in
          \__________/ when filing

[/code:1:25803d2211]

3. Now place two 6mm inner diameter washers (make sure they're not metal!) around each of the mounting pins and place the pins in the gaps you have filed away.

4. Mount the CORB as normal! The mod gives an extra 5-8mm of diameter to the blorb, allowing it to fit on many of the boards it would have before. I'm running my BLORB on my KT7A-RAID with no problems.

Alternatively, if you're after a more permanent solution, simply epoxy the CORB to the chipset. I know a friend who did this and is now regretting it, however, as he wants to slap a peltier+waterblock on there now. :)

Comment

Update:

I found this pic on Webvanguy's site. It shows the finished BLORB mod (works for CORB as well). If you look closely you can see the washers and pins holding the heatsink in place.

Good luck!

Comment

I also have a chrystal orb it fits nicely on my vidcard!

Comment

Working...
              X