Cisco Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cisco Systems

Some of you may be interested to know that I had lunch with an employee of Cisco Systems, yesterday. I won't give out his name, but, the title on his business card reads "e-Business Program Manager." He works on Networks and Web Design. Although he operates out of an office locally, his base of operations is in California.

The conversation drifted around to SETI@home and Folding@home and Distributed Computing in general. He was well aware of the concept, and the programs as well, and he spoke of office-wide programs for sharing computational tasks, similar to the world-wide volunteer networks we participate in. It was great running into someone else who is knowledgeable about DC.

My Architect friends I was having lunch with still can't grasp the idea of DC, and especially SETI!

(I just thought some of you who are just starting out in your internet, networking or computer careers might like to know.)

:devil win
    :-(

So how was the food m8? :?:

Comment

We ate at a little Cuban food diner in an office complex not too far from MiamiInternational Airport. It was typical fare. You know, arroz compollo (Chicken w/ yellow rice). I got my chicken as a grilled white meat steak. Its a little healthier that way. Cuban food is distinctive with the main ingredients being meat, a starch i.e. potato or rice, garlic (lots of garlic) and all the fats and oils they can throw in. It's not very healthy and not at all spicy, like the cuisine from Central American countries. Now that's the stuf I really go for.

The best part is my Architect friends picked up the tab, since I was there to give advice on the landscaping one of them will be putting around his newly constructed pool. The Cisco Systems guy is his neighbor.

Comment

I was trying to explain DC to some of my classmates the other day (with an emphasis on Folding@Home ;) ). It was an interesting conversation, but a surprising number had a hard time grasping the concept.

While this is the first time I've heard of DC being considered for an office environment, it doesn't really surprise me much. I'm working towards being an IT professional, so this is something I should probably look into. It makes since though, a lot of cycles get wasted on office PCs since most of them just get used for mundane tasks; but if a few comps or department need some extra power for some reasearch or whatever it is immediatly available to them without the need of additional hardware.

btw, I'm interested in this Cicso guy's opinon of s@h and f@h, if you don't mind passing it along :)

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
          btw, I'm interested in this Cicso guy's opinon of s@h and f@h, if you don't mind passing it along :)
          He was quite enthusiastic about them both. Although, I'm not sure what you're getting at. PM me and I can email him if you need more specific info.

While this is the first time I've heard of DC being considered for an office environment, it doesn't really surprise me much. I'm working towards being an IT professional, so this is something I should probably look into.
          He also said the office-wide computational networking was being done in Europe more than in the US. I did not get to ask him what applications were handled that way.

Comment

This is for those of you in the IT field who may be thinking of applying the concept of Distributed Computing on a smaller scale:
            GRID COMPUTING: PROTEOMICS RESEARCH GOES 24/7
            IBM Releases Grid Software
            Tricky to Design and Difficult to Implement, Grid Computing could be the Key to Transforming North Carolina into a Worldwide Genomic Research Hub

These articles are a bit dry and are not for the average "Joe Sixpack."

Comment

DC is used all the time in CGFX in movies. Pixar and Dreamworks both have DC set up on every computer in their offices, so at night when everyone goes home, the server sends out rendering workloads to all the office computers. They said in a commentary that it cut there rendering time by 1/10th. So next time your watching Monsters Inc. remeber that some crappy Celeron 45mhz office desktop probably helped create it :)

Comment

thanks for the links elrado1 :thumb:

it may be a bit 'dry' but it's certainly interesting to me anyway :)

Comment

You're most welcome.

PS. I did a Google of 'grid computing' and came up with some interesting stuff too. ;)

Comment

Working...
                  X