Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seti@Home causing computer to reboot?

Hi ya'll,

I installed command line version of Seti@Home last week and my computer started rebooting by its self. Sometimes as much as three times an hour. I removed the Seti driver from the Startup menu, rebooted, and the computer seems to be running fine.

I followed the install instructions on kane2's web page... .

My other box is running fine with Seti installed.

Any ideas? (You can call me a dummy, I don't mind... :) )

Thanks for any help...

ASRock?
    AMD ATHLON ~1666
    512 Megs memory
    XP Pro with all updates and patches.:)

Hmmm I b stumped with that one, I have never personally had this problem, but maybe one of the other members has and can help out more!

Comment

That's got me stumped as well as I've never had that prob either (the GUI version is another matter though). :confused:

If ya usin' XP have ya checked out the Event Viewer for details on the error causin' it? The PC isn't runnin' too warm? :?:

Comment

:bounce:

Thanks for responding so fast!! You guys are great!

Nothing in the Event viewer and as far as I know the pc isn't running hot. It only shuts off when I run Seti. Would that raise the temps?

:cheers:

Comment

Originally posted by benue
          Would that raise the temps?
          yes, but not above their nomal max temp. S@H, as with all DC projects that I'm aware of, will run your cpu @ 100% 24/7 (if you let it). So if your max temp is too high, that could cause the problem. But most games also max the cpu, so if it doesn't shut down during a long gaming session, you should look for another problem.

I don't know about the S@H client, but the Folding@Home clients allow you to set a certain amount (%) utilization for different reasons. You could try something like that and see what happens since it will cause the CPU not to run as hot.

Comment

I don't know how to check the temps on the CPU but I had Seti set to run in "Low Priority" mode. But when I'm not using the computer I guess it runs at 100 %.
            I have a couple of case fans I can put in but that will have to wait till Tuesday. I leave for Virginia tomorrow and won't get back till late Monday.
            Guess some times family HAS too come first!!! :(

Thank guys, I'll check in next week
            Have a good weekend.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Comment

Check to see if your mobo has support to use MBM5.

Comment

Originally posted by benue

I followed the install instructions on kane2's web page... .
                :eek:
                Mabye its just me, but since your computer is running 100% it might be power and/or heat related.
                get MBM like suggested above and check both.
                BTW Low priority means that the process will pause to any other process with highter priotity, but will still take any available spare cpu cycles. :thumb:

Comment

If it is temp related, remove the side panel and leave it off while running SETI@home. Check for dust buildup on the fans and cpu hsf, too. Clean 'em, if necessary.
                  :-(

Comment

Installed MBM5. Core temp runs at 136 deg F and the preset alarm is set to go off at 158 F.
                    Started SETI and waited a couple of minuets and the temp went up to 142. Started IE to come to TT and the temp now goes from 149 to 150. Mostly stays on 149.
                    Is that too high?
                    Side panel off and no dust in case.

Also, last night (Well, 2:30 this morning) I started SETI before I went to bed and the computer did not reboot all night.

Of course since the computers are in the basement the room temps vary. Cooler at night.

I still plan on installing the other fans Tuesday!!

Comment

Sounds like the temps are a little high, although, let me be the first to remind (Let me change that to advise) you that it would be best to set the temp readings to degrees Celsius. That is the standard used for computers and it goes for room temps too, when related to your computer temps.

Readings in the 40's Deg. C are ok. Idle temps in the 30's are ideal, but not often obtained. Load temps in the mid to low 50's can be tolerated, but are getting "up there." Temps reaching 60 Deg. C and above are very risky and you risk shutdown (or worse) between 60 and 70. (If I am off-base with any of the above, please feel free to correct me.)

I haven't lived where basements are common in a long time, but, I suspect that the temps don't vary too greatly day to day.

Ok, I just looked up the conversion and 149 Deg F equals 65 Deg C. That is way too hot. You may need help with a better cpu cooler, or the room temps are high (like 85 Deg F/30 deg C, which I doubt).

Also, I wanted to mention that an appropriate computer benchmarking program will stress your system in a similar manner as a Distributed Computing program. If, you run into the same problems as with SETI@home, then you know that it's a problem with your system. If not, then it has to do with seti.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Well think about it this way.
                        Water boils around 220F, you cpu cant boil water just yet, but it still whoul mke it pertty damn hot.
                        I would seriously upgrade cooler and/or add fans to the case. :thumb:

Comment

Yes usin' degrees celcius would be much easier for most of us here but those temps are way to hot and yes room temps at the time would be good as these will greatly impact on ya system's temps. First take the side off the case while it's runnin' and if the temps drop a lot then case airflow is what ya'll have to work on as even the best HSF can't keep things cool if the case doesn't breathe.

Comment

Installed two fans in case and now the temp stays a 52 Deg C with SETI running. Might look into a new (better) CPU fan.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Comment

That's good to know. Keep that basement cool in the meantime. ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X