CD rom drives & sound stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD rom drives & sound stopped working

Both my cd rom drives have quit on me and my sound after installing direct x 9 And a driver for my mother board but i can't run my rom drives so i can't load the driver any ideas what i can do here ( running xp pro sp 1 ) Every thing els works

Hardware details would help a lot but with the CDROM's just uninstall the IDE channel that they're on and reboot the PC. If ya still can connect to the internet then just d/l the drivers required from the manufacturer's website and reinstall them.

Comment

Well i tried that but no go can i reset my bios to the factory settings or will that not do any thing or if i format and start over will that help
      I hope i havn't shorted out my motherboard,
      Theres power to the roms because i can open and close the trays for some reason the D and E drives don't show up when i open windows explorer just the floppy and C drive

Comment

do you see the drives in Device Manager? If not, you should check the connection to the mobo.

Comment

Yes both are in device manager but with yellow exclamation marks and same with my sound device and on the motherboard
          Got a real scew up here Think doing the bios thing will help or reformating

Comment

Why do ya go into the BIOS for? :confused:

Comment

Well ok i'll leave that alone ( will reformating do anything i think im missing a driver or something for the ide on the motherboard or it has shorted out i uninstalled secondary IDE reinstalled it nothing same thing (is there any thing on the xp cd that would cure the system board or is this a different matter.
              P4- 1.7
              Apollo 266 motherboard
              via chip set
              advance sound
              maxtor 60 gig Hdd
              Award bios
              XP PRO-SP1

Comment

Well the ide channel the hd is on works. Try the cd drives on that one. HD as master and cd as slave.
                athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                asus a7n8xe-dlx
                thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                bfg 6800gt
                seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                samsung dvdrw
                2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
                DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                thermaltake tsunami dream -black
                seagate sataII 500gb
                evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
                samsung sata dvd-rw
                2x1024 ocz black
                logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
                ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

Originally posted by maximus7001
                  Well the ide channel the hd is on works. Try the cd drives on that one. HD as master and cd as slave.
                  That would only be a tempoary fix, and it would make the hard drive bloody slow

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2003
                    That would only be a tempoary fix, and it would make the hard drive bloody slow
                    I believe he wishes to do that for it's potential as a diagnostic method.

If it works fine on the Primary IDE channel, it does narrow the problem a bit.
                    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

:o My bad.

Anyway, go to your mobo manufacturers website and download the drivers from them and install em

Comment

you may need to install the mobo drivers from the mobo manufacturer's site and not the ones from VIA.

This is particularly true with some of the ASUS models, I believe.
                        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I agree the first thing to do is check both IDE channels. make sure the correct connectors are being used for hard disk and cd roms. red for h/d and pink for cdroms. make sure they are connected in right way up so that the connector fits into a small groove. make sure the blue side of the cable in connected to the mobo.
                          another idea actually try to reset the cmos first. this will clear the real time clock - or system setup parameters. it should be powered by a jumper on mobo. if you aren't sure look it up in your mobo manual.
                          i can only think of one more idea besides other peoples ideas and this is to make sure that the mobo is detecting the cdrom drives in the bios. i have ocme across a problem very similar to this. and it was in fact the cables weren't able to breath enough if they are bent too much, they can be fragile. the cables were faulty. If you have another set of cables for hard disk and cdrom try that out. i know this sounds a little stupid cos you have to bend the cabvles to a degree but try to keep them as straight as is ever possible. if your cdrom drivers show up as a question mark, check to see whether the drivers are enabled in system device properties. if this doesn't work, delete the cd rom devices in device manager. then when you are prompted th reboot this will force windows to search for the cdrom drivers if they are on your system at all. if not then you will have to download them from your cdrom manufacturers website. as for sound. open the sound in device manager if theier are any question marks. if not try to get windows to auto detect new hardware and it may find the correct type sound device on your mobo. then you can highlight it and run the mobo cd to reinstall the sound drivers. It might be that the sound drivers are disabled in the bios. i hope i have helped a little bit. let us know what happens dude. good luck :thumb:

Comment

Working...
                          X