Will this CPU fit on my mobo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this CPU fit on my mobo?

I have a Intel SE440BX-2 mobo. It supports CPU's upp to P3 850Mhz@100Mhz. But I wonder if I can buy a P3 866Mhz CPU and install it?
    Is there any option to "downclock" it or something?
    If I can get it to fit then I'll have a 2nd gameable computer :D

http://www.intel.com/support/motherb...bx2/compat.htm

There's some info for my mobo.

I hope that it will work, I mean, why should it not?
    The CPU is SLOT1 and the mobo is also SLOT1 (duuuh) :)

Thanx in adavance.

Not at the 133MHz bus speed in all likelyhood. It'll probably run, just not at the 866MHz. More like 650 or something. The Intel BX board's don't have a real 133MHz setting, and few if any FSB options.

I'd say 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999% big, fat, hairy "NO"

Comment

Yeah bein' an Intel board would probably not have the FSB settin' for 133MHz and even if it did floppy and IDE controllers plus various add on cards probably wouldn't like the overclocked bus rates. :smokin:
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Ok. But why? I mean, it's just 16Mhz difference. And the bus speed will decrease from 133 to 100Mhz. Won't it? But if the bus speed already is at 100Mhz, maybe it's a bigger chance for it to work?

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
          Yeah bein' an Intel board would probably not have the FSB settin' for 133MHz and even if it did floppy and IDE controllers plus various add on cards probably wouldn't like the overclocked bus rates.
          But if the 866Mhz CPU is at 100Mhz then? I installed my P2 266Mhz MMX CPU on a celeron/P3 compatible mobo. It did run, but only at 133Mhz (Dunno about the bus speed thou). And since it was a Dell computer I could not attempt to "tweak" it to it's original speed.
          Not so fun if this 866Mhz CPU only runs at 133Mhz... heh.
          Maybe I should mail Intel and ask, but they will probably never answer me :(

Comment

There is no 100MHz FSB 866 P3. It's a 6.5 multiplier and a 133MHz bus. Do the math with either bus: one is 650MHz the other 866. The 850 runs a 100MHz bus, hence 8.5x100=850

If the CPU is an EB or ends with the numbers 33 or 66, it's a 133MHz FSB chip. You can run it at 100MHz, but it won't run at full speed.

Chart below to illustrate.

5.5,6.0,6.5,7.0,7.5,8.0,8.5 x 100=550,600,650,700,750,800,850

5.0,5.5,6.0,6.5,7.0,7.5 x 133=667,733,800,866,933,1GHz

Comment

And why pay for a CPU that your just goin' to underclock? Intel CPU's are fully multiplier locked so ya can't change that. :smokin:

Comment

Yikes! :D
                That was a hell of an answer Morgan :D Thanx.
                Ok, I guess I have to buy a new cheap mobo for it then.
                Maybe he'll throw away the CPU and the mobo for $90 or something.

Thanx dudes! :)

Comment

Some places will cut you a deal on a mobo/CPU combo, not all, but it's not uncommon. Also, if possible, I advise taking local shops into account.

Comment

I love my local stores, they provide answers and warranties that keep me coming back. Pricewatch is only a last stop effort.

-might be different with you

Comment

I have two shops I'm particularly fond of myself here in town, and that's just from selection and support in general. I'm on pretty good terms with both shops, so most of the sales people know me well enough to show me some cool stuff they don't show other customers.

Comment

Thats the kind of hookup everyone needs. Its just to hard to try and do everything we do as builders/overclockers/modders with just the distant help of the internet. With the exception of TT, which has aided me in numerous situations - whether i asked for it or not!

Comment

WOW WOW WOW!
                          Wait a sec. I posted that last reply , but it says fhgump did

Comment

YOU GUYS!!!
                            This says fhgump posted these last two when in fact i did.
                            IM JEDIAGENT!!!
                            whats wrong wit the forum. Im signing in as JediAgent!

Admin HELP!

Comment

Hah :) Bothering or what to log in with another ID :)

Local stores you all say huh? Well, local stores here doesn't sell that old mobos or CPU's anymore...

The "slowest" stuff u can buy is 1Ghz.

Comment

Working...
                              X