wireless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wireless?

can someone tellme about wireless.....like if i get it....will i get alot of interface....lets say i have 802.11g ...is that a strong connection? will cell phones in my hosue break up the connection? if i get a netgear router...do i have to get a netgear NIC??? whts the best wired and wireless router out there right now? thanks for your help:thumb:

sorry,,1 more question.....i have 4 computers....lets say if i get 4 port wirelss router.....can i just get 2 wireless NICs and have the other 2 regualr NICs plugged into my router? will they all get teh same preformece? and im runining DSL

Comment

wifi will be slower than the wired stuff ;)

Comment

Ok Here goes

The wireless spectrum used is the same as used by most other wireless gear that can show up in the home, ie cordless phones, wireless keyboards etc.

However since the wireless gear has multiple channels (depends on where you live on how many channels you get), usually you can pick a channel that doesn't have any problems.

Currently I've got 3 wireless ap's cordless phones etc and not had a problem, however I can't run a wireless keyboard and mouse - way too much interference in my little office.

Speed:
        Here's an interesting subject - what speed wireless will I get. for a 11 Meg Conection (802.11b), the maximum speed that you will get is 5.5 Meg, the rest is lost in the wireless overhead.

If you got a netgear router then in theory any nic will work with it, however in practice this doesn't always work, it also depends on what you plan on doing with. If you are just going to use a wireless AP with some wireless clients then you won't have a problem with brands.
        If you wanted to use wireless bridgeing(ie linking 2 separate networks together) then its much safer to get the same brand/model

As far as having a combination of hard wired & wireless clients linking to a router, not a problem - works very well.

Wireless networking is very good for websurfing, media streaming, playing games etc. Its not very good for copying large files (600 meg +) since its very slow.

802.11g
        the advantage of 802.11g is that its a 54 meg conection (they really mean its half of that speed), the disadvantage is that the range is less, ie you can pick up a 11 Meg connection further away from the AP (access point)
        Note: it'll work better if its set to 54 Meg only instead of the default setting of 802.11b & 802.11g at the same time.

I currently have my laptop connected via wireless to my network, makes an excellent websurfing device.

I hope my waffle makes sense
        :devil:
        http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

im gonna be down stiars with the router......and im gonna hve 2 computers up stairs.....will it work good transmitting stuff vetical? (upstairs) and the dsl will be fast for the computers up stairs right? im gonna get netgear 802.11g

Comment

g, well its fast. but buyer beware.
            if you read some sites, they had issues setting up a network by products from the same manf. as G wasnt officialy a protocol till recently.
            SO early G stuff may not work with latest G stuff even from same manf. :P
            B is the king, but its slowest.
            I peronally like B the best, because its been around the longest, no issues with support (every1 supports B) and you can get it cheap.
            G in my opinion is just plain pain in the butt. it tries to work, but still not quite there yet.
            If you need speed, go wired. if you want wireless go B, its maybe the slowest of wifi, but if surfing the web, you still wouldnt max it out :D

Comment

You can improve your antenna by making a cantenna. That way you can aim your signal anywhere you want

Comment

so if i get 802.11b......if i surf the net with it using DSL will the performence like modem? how good is hte surfing with 802.11b

Comment

for surfing the web you probably wont notice the difference between wired and wireless, unless you have an awful lot of bandwidth. My cable connection is 1.5 mbps down and i havent noticed any difference in speed between a wired network and wireless :cheers:

Comment

cool thanks.....jsut 1 more ?.......i have dsl...now if i get the wireless router....do i need anything else ? besides teh wireless NICs..but like the air base ? or whatever its called? or does the router do it all?

Comment

the router will do it all. It both routes the packets and serves as the wireless access point for your network :thumb:

Comment

I agree with ^

Comment

Working...
                        X