Can I Ghost just My Music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I Ghost just My Music?

I am trying to figure out how to Ghost only My Music folder and not my entire hard drive and it doesnt seem to be possible, if I am wrong or anyone knows how to do this your help would be appreciated.

Using Norton Ghost? If so there should be a choice toward the early menus allowing you to choose just a directory and not a drive.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

why don't you just burn the contents onto CD(s)?

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
        why don't you just burn the contents onto CD(s)?
        That'd be the way I'd do it and if ya had a lot ya could zip it 1st.

Comment

it seams a bit pointless to ghost your music folder

I'd zip it the archive it to cd/dvd
          http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

I already burned all the files to cd. I need to do a clean install of xp, and all the files are 30gb. I am just looking for an easy way to put all the files back in to the my music folder instead of ripping hundreds of cd's. After I do a clean install, I plan on making a seperate partition for my music files so it will be easy to ghost next time, but how do I put only my music on the seperate partition. Also, if I were to get a second hard drive just for music files, do both hard drives need xp on them or just the master? One last thing, if only the master needs xp, whats the easiest or best way to format my current hard drive to use for storage only? I know how to format when installing xp, but after the drive is formatted, instead of doing the install, will it just be wiped clean and ready for whatever? long post I know, sorry...

Comment

OK, simple answer (couldn't force myself through that last post):

- 'ghosting' is for complete backups, not just backing up certain files. All you need is to copy all the files somewhere else. However, even if it were possible to 'ghost' a single folder, then you'd still need somewhere else to store it.

- Easy solution - get the second HDD you mentioned and just copy the files across. All you need to do is stick a new drive in and format it, and it will work. You don't need to install XP on it again (and it's highly recommended that you don't).

- If you want to use your current drive as the 2nd HDD, and use the new drive as your main XP drive, then remove the current drive completely, set up the new drive with XP, then plug in the old drive, copy all the files you want to keep to the new drive, then format the old drive, then copy all the files back on there that you want.

Comment

I think I came up with a decent solution. Im using Partition Magic to create a new partition with my music files only, then I will either ghost only that partition and reformat the whole drive and then restore the music files, or the better thing to do would probably be just leave the new partition alone and reformat the old partition and do a clean install of xp. good idea?? tried to keep this post shorter and thanks for the replies!

Comment

Originally posted by allJ
                  good idea??
                  absolutely...
                  there is nothing better than having a partition dedicated for your music or *cough*p0rn*cough*. and in anycase now you won't need to format that partition EVER so no need of ghosting or anything.
                  Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                  Last Updated:
                  10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                  ======================
                  jabber : [email protected]
                  =======================
                  Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                  yabaa dabaa doo...
                  Customized for 1024x768

Comment

thanks akslepios:)

Comment

Working...
                    X