This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Review People!!!

After reading the “Albatron vs. EPoX” article I felt the need to signup for the TT forums and ask a few questions. Currently I am looking at upgrading to the AMD Athlon64 platform and in doing so I need a decent motherboard to support this processor. I have been reading just about every review I can find on the net and being a fellow Australian I am looking mainly at Australian reviews (although there aren’t many). Anyway, at the top of my list for boards to check out is the Albatron K8X800 Pro II mainly because it boasts the VIA Envy PT audio controller. After reading the Albatron vs. EPoX K8T800 article I have been left very confused.

Personally, I believe this to be a highly inaccurate review that should not have been published. I refuse to believe there is something like a 3000pt difference between the Albatron and EPoX boards. For reasons most users will already know about there should be very little difference between these two boards. Every other review showed results that strongly contradict those found in the TT review. Then there are the gaming results that seem to be pretty much spot on. There is like a one frame per second difference between the two boards in some of the game tests but 3000 odd points in 3Dmark2001 SE.

The writer of this review Shawn also needs to learn how to “write”, the right way. His reviews are fricken impossible to read, the sentences just don’t flow. For christ sake some of the damn paragraphs are full sentences. Basically, what I am trying to say this review on TT is a disgrace and should be removed, it’s written poorly and the results are completely inaccurate.

Wow, I guess that was a way to tell a yarn.:confused:

Comment

Thanx for the spam like reply. So I take it you don’t agree with me then? I should decide against the Albatron board because it is 3000pts slower than the EPoX K8T800 board.

Comment

I can't reply on behalf of shawn, but as far as the 3000 pt difference goes, he can only publish the results the equipment achieves while he is benchmarking it.
        TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

That’s a load of crap. He tested two motherboards based on the same chipset with the same hardware. Since reading the TT review I have read several other reviews that have all shown the performance of the Albatron board to be similar to that of the competition. If Shawn honestly did receive these results which I’m not saying he didn’t, then he needs to re-evaluate the board’s setup.

If I was in this position I would re-format and set the system up again. If the results are still way off which 3000pts is way way way off then I would notify the manufacturer and request a new board. There is no way after seeing these results the manufacturer will not help the situation by offering technical support or provide a new motherboard.

Finally, Shawn should have seen that no one else received poor results from this motherboard and realized something was off. Though I am confident if you gave me this motherboard I could get far better performance out of it, simply I would have it setup right! I just think these guys don’t really know what they are doing. Personally I don’t care either way; I will just read elsewhere for a second opinion from now on.

Here are some real Albatron K8X800 Pro II reviews that show real results:

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTM4
          http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?id=240
          http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews...mlld19JRD02NzY
          http://www.legionhardware.com/html/doc.php?id=265

I’m not trying to start a flame war here. I am just showing the facts. By no means am I saying the review is sh*t with evidence back this claim up. Not only is it written very poorly the results are so far out its woeful.

Here are some quotes from just the “Introduction” of the review showing some excellent writing skillz; Actually, just read this and tell me its okay…

With our look at AMD Athlon 64 chipsets out the way last week, it is now time to have a look at some of the motherboards on the market based on AMD’s new 64-bit platform. Today we are looking at the Albatron K8T800 as well as the EPoX K8T800 and we intend to find out which out of these cheaper Athlon 64 motherboards is best for you in terms of features and performance.

As we mentioned both motherboards use the VIA K8T800 chipset. In our recent Athlon 64 chipset shootout we saw that it was not the fastest chipset available but definitely offered some of the best features when compared to its competitors ALI, nVidia and SiS.

The motherboard market lately is very aggressive and we want to find out today about both Albatron and EPoX motherboards and if there is any difference between them and their packages for all of you who may soon be looking at buying a brand new Athlon 64 motherboard.

Let’s see how both companies choose to use the features behind the VIA K8T800 and if a cheaper motherboard really means second best.

Comment

Originally posted by .Kylie.
            :With our look at AMD Athlon 64 chipsets out the way last week, it is now time to have a look at some of the motherboards on the market based on AMD’s new 64-bit platform. Today we are looking at the Albatron K8T800 as well as the EPoX K8T800 and we intend to find out which out of these cheaper Athlon 64 motherboards is best for you in terms of features and performance.

As we mentioned both motherboards use the VIA K8T800 chipset. In our recent Athlon 64 chipset shootout we saw that it was not the fastest chipset available but definitely offered some of the best features when compared to its competitors ALI, nVidia and SiS.

The motherboard market lately is very aggressive and we want to find out today about both Albatron and EPoX motherboards and if there is any difference between them and their packages for all of you who may soon be looking at buying a brand new Athlon 64 motherboard.

Let’s see how both companies choose to use the features behind the VIA K8T800 and if a cheaper motherboard really means second best.
            Apparently your an English freak, or dont know it at all, as that makes perfect sense.

Things arent always written perfect, everyone has their own style of writing, be it a review or anything.

Comment

I’m not trying to start a flame war here.
              As a matter of fact, I think you are. You have blatantly gone out of your way to attempt to show the author of this piece is a liar and does not have the knowledge necessary to set up a system, and just because the results don't fit into YOUR belief of what the results might be. Considering the background of the reviewer, I find this a bit difficult to swallow. Every piece that is reviewed by this site has the review link forwarded to the manufacturer that provided the review sample. If there are any feelings of performance inaccuracies, the manufacturers will contact us and we can double check any settings they feel are amiss.

As to the writing skills, I found only one small error of an omitted word in the first sentence of your example quote. I'm not sure where your perfect grammar is finding all these errors, but I found the thoughts to flow in a steady stream and sentence structure was fine.

I'm not really sure where you get off on some of your tangents, but it may be more beneficial to make contact with the author of the piece in the future if you have issues with a review, article or guide. You will find a link to their email address at the top of each page of the respective piece. Your future respect and consideration are appreciated.
              Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
              My Toys

Comment

I hate to admit it, but .Kylie. does have a valid point regarding the writing technique used in the TT reviews. However, it should be noted that TT is not unique in this regard. Unfortunately, .Kylie.’s use of inciting words and incendiary phraseology diminishes the intent greatly.

The diction and syntax used in many of the TT reviews uses far too many superfluous adjectives and meaningless phrases. Professionally written reviews can be found on the web, but they are few and far between. Taking a course or two in creative and or technical writing would benefit the reviewers greatly and would elevate the credibility of the reviews.

Regarding the blasting of the reviewer for publishing the findings as they were obtained is completely unfounded. How objective would a review be if one questioned their results based on the findings of other reviewers? A review with findings such as these may very well point out the possible release of a “bad apple” from an otherwise reputable manufacturer. Would this tidbit of information not be more valuable than having the results swayed by notifying the manufacturer that an anomaly had been found and that you’d like to give them a second chance? Would you not then be obligated to obtain a second unit from the other manufacturer for a re-review too?

As far as attacking the credibility and technical savvy of the reviewer .Kylie. offers no qualifications for making such claims other than 1) they’ve got some money to spend on the latest technology and 2) they’ve read some other reviews.

Oh, btw, I’m not trying to start a flame war… Also, AMD, you do realize that you’ve got three spelling errors in your two sentence post? You should know better.
                :wave:
                :-(

Comment

Originally posted by elrado1
                  Oh, btw, I’m not trying to start a flame war… Also, AMD, you do realize that you’ve got three spelling errors in your two sentence post? You should know better.
                  :wave:
                  I only count two, and there both contractions (apostrophe missing).

Comment

not that it really matters but its the two contractions you're and don't like u said. the third one is that it should be perfectly, not perfect :cheers:

Comment

It’s a bad review whether you TT fan boys will admit it or not. If you think this review flows fine then that’s your problem, honestly I don’t care that much about the poor grammar. I was just pointing this out as it was there!

My biggest concern is still the poor results that are completely inaccurate. Most of you probably don’t want to buy this motherboard so the results are irrelevant to you. But I am keen to purchase this board and all reviews concerning it are quite important.

If you fan boys are happy with the results then so be it, I won’t bother pointing out huge errors like these in the TT reviews.

Comment

...But I am keen to purchase this board and all reviews concerning it are quite important.
                        Let us know how it goes.
                        :-(

Comment

Well, I can't say Shawn writes well (becuase, he doesn't...)... but i can tell you this:

Shawn has been doing this for a lot longer than you have Kylie, and the scores he posts have been tripple, if not quadruple, checked.

If the score is way off track to you, it's highly possible that there was one or more underlying harware and/or software conflict,s resulting in these skewed results. But, rest assured that Shawn's postings are not false or altered in any way, shape or form.

Hope that helps... and by the way, it would be more effective if you stated your opinions nicely and actually EMAILED instead of relying on an public forum for good answers.

- J. Shapiro, TT Staff

Comment

Thank you ... e-mails are often ignored that’s why I hit the forums!

Comment

Working...
                            X