Problem with 2x512 Kingston memory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with 2x512 Kingston memory?

I was in the local comp shop today, and the guy started going off on me for not buying matched pairs... saying that there is a 50/50 chance that it will run dual channel... is this true?

Not really, so long as ya use the same make, model and size ya should be fine (there maybe a 1 in >20 chance that they won't but certainly not 50/50). I've been usin' a lot of Corsair's XMS3500 in dual channel setups (I like the speed of these and the aggressive timings that they can obtain) which isn't available in twin packs but I've yet to have a problem with either AMD nForce2 or P4 i865 setups with them.

Comment

yeh the ratio is definitely not 50/50. there is a slight disadvantage though because one module is bound to have a higher potential than the other so if you've got overclocking in mind, it might be worth considering to get a TWINX type just because they are identical.

cheers
      surenw

Comment

MATCH PAIRS ARE GENERALLY THE BETTER DEAL THEY ARE ALSO TESTED AND MATCHED FOR SPEED, ETC.
        YOU SHOULD NOT BE CHEEP WHEN COMES TO MEMORY.
        DUEL CHANNEL: IF YOU WANT GOOD PREFORMANCE GET MATCHED PAIRS

Comment

Originally posted by snowpro
          MATCH PAIRS ARE GENERALLY THE BETTER DEAL THEY ARE ALSO TESTED AND MATCHED FOR SPEED, ETC.
          YOU SHOULD NOT BE CHEEP WHEN COMES TO MEMORY.
          DUEL CHANNEL: IF YOU WANT GOOD PREFORMANCE GET MATCHED PAIRS
          Caps lock is your friend.
          Well matched pairs ARE more expensive, but if theres less than 1/20 chance they won't mix, I won't worry too much.

Comment

Working...
          X