Computer keeps beeping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer keeps beeping

Hi? I bought a new mem stick thinking it was DDR 2100-266 the fin print looked like 2100 but it was DDR 2700 333 /anyways i stuck it in to my mem slot booted up now the comp just beeps like there's no mem at all. When i put my old mem back in it doe's the same thing just beeps. My mother board manual call's for 2100 -266 for the high.Have i done my board in. is there away to reset it,
    Apollo P4 266 VL-33-S
    Via chip set
    Intel P4 1.7
    Thanks to who replies

The beeps are like morse code and most decent manuals will have a page which explains the code but check to make sure that ya haven't dislodged the video card from its slot. Ya did may sure to ground ya self out of static electricity b4 goin' into the case I hope.
    BTW the PC2700 should still have worked in ya mobo.

Comment

Ya i grounded my self and the beeps are 1 long and then a beeb about every 3 seconds. What i did is put the new stick in with the old one still in, didn't show up as 512 (2 sticks of 256) so took the old one out to see if it show the new stick and thats when it started to beeb at boot up. Put the old one back in and new one out,still beeps. I can't get into my bios to check timing or nothing.
      And my manual doesn't show any thing about the beeps.checked my video card looks ok,seated in the slot.Maybe fried my mem sticks.
      Thanks for the reply

Comment

OK, first of all make sure you unplug your computer when doing anything to the memory
        After that, go into bios and check that the memory timings are correct
        also clear your cmos if the above dont help.
        :2cents:

Comment

I have Award bios, memory or video problems = one long beep followed by three short.
          If your beeps one every second or so continusly may be cpu fan failure.????????
          If you cant access bios not booting either and you have had memory failure, you'll have to remove that new stick of memory replace old one, reset cosmo may be jumpers if board has and or remove battery for few seconds and or possibly unplugging power for few minutes,
          Then you should be able to access bios or boot
          MEMORY FAILURE WILL CAUSE NO BOOT AND NO ACCESS TO BIOS
          Not all mother boards are the same procedure for reset cosmos
          nor is the beep codes
          Memory failure can be caused by incorrect settings in bios
          Fan failure cause cpu failure, overheating once cooled should boot till hot again
          PC 2700 memory should run in your board would only run at PC 2100 speeds?????????

Comment

reset cosmos? WHOA, I hope you mean cmos!
            cosmos is a whole different thing ;)
            highly unadvisable to try to restet that :laugh:

Comment

OK i'll try the cmos i do have a jumper on my board so i just move it over from 1-2 to 2-3 for a few seconds with it unplugged right and then move it back and boot up , i have the old stick back in

Comment

Originally posted by Budlite
                OK i'll try the cmos i do have a jumper on my board so i just move it over from 1-2 to 2-3 for a few seconds with it unplugged right and then move it back and boot up , i have the old stick back in
                OK i tried that but still beeping at boot up!
                Should i remove the battery and try that?

Comment

Originally posted by Budlite
                  OK i tried that but still beeping at boot up!
                  Should i remove the battery and try that?
                  Question-- Do you think by any chance i blew my video card.
                  and the original mem stick i had in there. I stuck the new one in 2700 DDR in it, quit beeping BUT it started to get hot and smelt hot to.Boy do i need help.

Comment

What got hot? mem, or video card or what??????
                    Please note when reset cosmo or board all bios settings return to default settings, so if you had made changes in bios after reset , they would need to be reset again
                    Is this pc one you built or retail set up
                    Do you have manuals, bios info etc

You should reset cosmo again and before you turn on power again remove memory remove suspect video card ( when removeing mem etc make sure power is off ok to leave pluged in turn off power switch on back of pc , If left pluged in you maintain ground which is good will help prevent electro static shock)

Try to post up, and check pc to see that all fans are running etc.
                    ok to leave case open ,just dont touch anything while powered up.
                    you will have beep codes due to missing mem and video card and possilbly any other problem devices,
                    I would forget about your new stick of mem for now
                    After post up and check of pc
                    Reinstall original stick of mem
                    Install basic video card if you have one otherwise try install the one you have unless it was very hot ,smoking etc ( could be TOAST????)
                    then try to post up & enter bios make necessary changes

Comment

Originally posted by snowpro
                      What got hot? mem, or video card or what??????
                      Please note when reset cosmo or board all bios settings return to default settings, so if you had made changes in bios after reset , they would need to be reset again
                      Is this pc one you built or retail set up
                      Do you have manuals, bios info etc

You should reset cosmo again and before you turn on power again remove memory remove suspect video card ( when removeing mem etc make sure power is off ok to leave pluged in turn off power switch on back of pc , If left pluged in you maintain ground which is good will help prevent electro static shock)

Try to post up, and check pc to see that all fans are running etc.
                      ok to leave case open ,just dont touch anything while powered up.
                      you will have beep codes due to missing mem and video card and possilbly any other problem devices,
                      I would forget about your new stick of mem for now

After post up and check of pc
                      Reinstall original stick of mem
                      Install basic video card if you have one otherwise try install the one you have unless it was very hot ,smoking etc ( could be TOAST????)
                      then try to post up & enter bios make necessary changes
                      OK i took out the video card and original mem jumped the cmos booted up beeped. shut down put the mem and video card back in booted up beeped. all my fans run hard drive starts cd rom's.lights come on just won't post and it was the 2700 ram that got smoken hot.So i think i cooked my old mem stick 2100 to, thought i was grounded enough but i guess not.And yes i built this computer.If there's no mem i can't get in to cmos right?

Comment

You should be able to get in bios, I was able to access bios with memory failure, if I remember wright I had to reset cmos first so put your old stick in and try, maybe still good, is normal for ram to get little hot
                        My board I just hold down delete key got right in ,I belive some boards is F1??? have to hit the right spot or time or just try holding down when power up.:hammer:

Comment

Originally posted by snowpro
                          You should be able to get in bios, I was able to access bios with memory failure, if I remember wright I had to reset cmos first so put your old stick in and try, maybe still good, is normal for ram to get little hot
                          My board I just hold down delete key got right in ,I belive some boards is F1??? have to hit the right spot or time or just try holding down when power up.:hammer:
                          OK i got a new stick of mem 256 2100 266 and it still beeps,I have three slots for mem does it matter wich one i put it in iv'e tried all three same thing beeps, When i reset the bios i unplug the computer move jumper from 1-2 to 2-3 wait a few minutes move jumper back to 1-2 plug computer back in, am i doing this right.

Comment

Sounds rite
                            Shouldnt matter which slot for mem when using one stick, I'd go with #1slot
                            Please note I'm not familiar with your board I'm one of those Athlon Guy's/ just trying to assist
                            Do you have manual for your mobo refer there for mem slots /beep codes/bios access, if not go to mobo web site probably can download there , may be some info or trouble shoot stuff there.

I dont know for sure what your beeps represent if it is memory you will get till you correct the problem you must access bios correct memory timings voltage etc first, if that is the problem.

When you power up do you see anything on screen or are only getting beeps

One Example of memory failure= post up see misc screens then hear beep codes screen may go black then not being able to repete process or access bios, I had this problem (ASUS board Athlon cpu) solution was reset board/ cmos power up hold delete key entered bios and change my memory settings to user defined and relax timings.
                            Prior to that I thought my video card was bad, and memory failure, as turned out video card was fine

one of your previous posts refers to reset cmos and removing battery in and out , For my board, to reset, both must be done!

you may have different problem?? but if your pc worked prior to you adding memory, the problem must lie there, It also does not hurt to check, all cables, hardware memory seating ,video card seat, everthing,
                            the only other Static shock hope all was grounded or that other mem has dammaged your board
                            :flames:

Comment

I resolved the problem i put my new stick in but it was still beeping so out of frustration i pushed down on the mem stick till i thought the motherboard was going to snap, turned the power on booted up a yes it started up, The dam mem stick wasn't seated all the way, so i did the same with my old stick and it works to so now i have 512 memory, Thank you for the information.

Thanks to you and all of you who replied to my problem.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Comment

Working...
                              X