Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motherboard choice

i have got a dorun 800 im going to upgrade to a athlon1600
    as my mother board doesnt support overclocking i wany to get one that does but i want one with sdram as i currently have 1gig in my pc so what are some good mother boards that wont cost me an arm and leg and are easy for a first time overclocker

Well you would have to find a VIA KT133A chipset based board for that but they are getting very hard to find (here in Australia anyway) though you won't be doin' any favours to that AthlonXP by cripplin' it with SDRAM.
    Abit and Asus were about the best in the SDRAM field. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Yea, it would be extremely foolish to upgrade to an athlon XP and not go right to DDR,

Comment

The Asus A7V-266E is a good choice for a athlon XP system. I've got mine running stable with the fsb @152, multiplier @10.5 (locked :( ).

By all accounts ASUS makes top-notch boards, and you can find this particular motherboard for a decent price. I picked up mine 3 months ago for $210 Can, no onboard audio.

That's my recomendation.

Comment

I am in the process of upgrading all i need to do is buy a mainboard but i am on a budget i have read the review on this board and it seems ok i think unless anyone can offer me any better advice i will go with this one gigabyte ga-7vtxe.Will this system be ok.

amd athlon xp 1700
          geforce 2 64mb
          256 ddr ram
          40gb wd hdd

ok will that lot be ok with that board i am not into overclocking the only reason i am drawn to buying this board is its price ie cheap and the fact that it has dual bios.

Can anyone else recommend a board with a similiar price tag and dual bios that would be better.

TIA.

Comment

Epox 8KHA+

Comment

Edited after reading other topics - go epox!

Comment

Soltek SL75DRV4 stable Athlon XP1800+ @ 144FSB x 11.5with 256MB DDR PC-2100 CAS2.5

Comment

heres a nice mobo which i have,
                  Elite k7s5a it supports fsb speeds of 200/266mhz
                  and it has two sdram slots and two ddr ram slots
                  uses the sis 735 chip set
                  dma 33/66/100
                  10baset/100basetx network interface (optional)
                  so you can use your sdram and when your ready to buy
                  your ddr ram, it's not a problem.:cool:

Comment

I would actually suggest the FIC AZ11EA there is a bios update to make it support the athlonXP and it supports up to 1.5GB of SD RAM..the board is based on the VIA KT133A the multiplyers can bring the processor up to 1.67Ghz (12.5) and the voltage can go up to 1.9....good luck..

Comment

Originally posted by madruss
                      i have got a dorun 800 im going to upgrade to a athlon1600
                      as my mother board doesnt support overclocking i wany to get one that does but i want one with sdram as i currently have 1gig in my pc so what are some good mother boards that wont cost me an arm and leg and are easy for a first time overclocker
                      I would look at the ECS K7S5A. It has the sis735 chipset, supports both sdram & DDR and with the availible newer bios the fsb can reach 150. It cost around $55 us and are readily availible. Its a good board to get your feet wet with OCing.

Edit this board only has 2 sdram slots so if you dont have 512 sticks you will be limited on the amount of memory you can run.

Comment

Buy a new Proc, Mobo, and DDR RAM.
                        I suggest Abit Epox or Asus. I have experience with all and they are each very good in different respects. I dont know about ECS or Elite or FIC or Soltek, but that doesn't mean i think negatively about them. Buy DDR2100 or 2400. You'll prolly put out between 150 and 250 bucks depending. (american i mean)

When you have all that. Start focusing on bringin that Duron 800 and 1gig SDRAM back into another box. Use it as a secondary, or sell it to an idiot, just dont let it sit.

What Power Supply wattage do you have?

Comment

lol yea the worst thing u can do to a new athlonxp is to choke the poor thing with ageing sd ram

and yes epox and asus are wise choices...i don;t know enuf about abit to recomend it but from wat i hear it's pretti good as well:afro:

Comment

Working...
                          X