9800pro shutting down PC!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9800pro shutting down PC!

Hello guyz and gals, my first post here.

I put together a new system the other day, and all is perfect except for one thing. Every time I play a game (all games) my PC will just shut off after a few minutes. And i can't turn it back on at the case again. Even half an hour later (thought it might be overheating).

So I have to turn it off at the wall and then back on again, then it will turn on at the case switch.

Each time I reboot, it seems to be taking less time til it shuts down. I've used a few different monitoring temp porgrams and all say that my CPU never gets over 42 degrees and the Mobo never highter than 35.
    I even inserted a case fan because i thought it was overheating.

I put the Graphics card in my old PC and it runs fine. It also runs fine when i put the old Graphivs card in the new system.

I'm going crazy trying to think whats going on!

Is it overheating?
    Is it bad RAM? (testing that 2nite)
    Is it incompatible?
    Is it the PSupply? Different voltages? (why can't i turn it straight back on?)

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanx.

My specs are as follows:
    P4 2.8C
    ASUS P4P800 Deluxe Mobo
    1x 512 Samsung DDR400 Single channel (changing to Dual Channel soon)
    Powercolor 128Mb ATI 9800Pro
    SHAW 450W case (real cheap)

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

StevoDevo: It's not advisable to run a Radeon 9800 Pro with a "real cheap" power supply.

Comment

I agree that's the symptoms of an over-stressed power supply. Because when you unplug it, it fully resets, thus it works again

Comment

If ya runnin' WinXP then also checkout the Event Viewer for any red flagged errors under Applications and System but yes elcheapo PSU's usually just don't cut it when it comes to stability.

Comment

If you have bad power supply, then get a new one. The 9800 Pro takes up a lot of power, as evidenced by the extra power cable that needs to hook into a seperate outlet. Go pick up a new one (preferably good, they're pretty cheap as well), and that should fix your problem.

Comment

Thanx for the rplies guys.

The thing that gets me is i put a large room fan right next to the open case, and everything runs fine.

You see my roomate threw out the box to the Graphics card, so i can't return it.

Comment

Originally posted by StevoDevo
              Thanx for the rplies guys.

The thing that gets me is i put a large room fan right next to the open case, and everything runs fine.

You see my roomate threw out the box to the Graphics card, so i can't return it.
              Then you need better cooling

Comment

Working...
              X